Basic Alg: Jason's pay $25 less than twice David's. If....

kiley1018

I cannot figure these out Please help me

1: Jason's weekly salary is $25 less than twice David's Salary. If together their salaries total $1425, what is Davids weekly salary.

I thought it would be set up like this = x + 2x - 25 = 1425 - But that is just not working out right

2: Yesterday, Town and Contry Fashions had seven less than three-fourths of its sales transactions paid for by credit cards. If 209 transactions were charged, how many total transactions took place?

Is this right = 3/4x-7=209
+7
3/4x = 216
x = 292

Re: Basic Algebra questions

Did you name things? You need to take the time to do this for each and every word problem.
If you call David's salary x, then what is Jason's salary called in terms of David's salary? Then you can build your equation getting "x + Jason's salary (what you have named it from above) = 1425."

Re: Basic Algebra questions

That was what I did = Davids salary is x and jasons salary is 2x-25 - but this is just not working. Am I thinking of this wrong??

kiley1018 said:
That was what I did = Davids salary is x and jasons salary is 2x-25 - but this is just not working. Am I thinking of this wrong??
I will guess that you mean the following:

. . . . .David's salary: x

. . . . .twice David's: 2x

. . . . .twenty-five less: 2x - 25

. . . . .total: (x) + (2x - 25) = 1425

But what were the rest of your steps? How is it "working out" incorrectly?

There are many possible interpretations of your post with respect to the second exercise. It would help if you started at the beginning, stating what "x" stands for, and then used standard formatting to explain your work after that. For instance, "= 3/4x-7=209" doesn't make much sense, having an "equals" sign at the beginning without anything on the other side. And "3/4x - 7" might mean "3/(4x - 7)" or "3/(4x) - 7", but we can't tell which you intend. (And, reading the exercise, I would have thought "(3/4)x" would have occurred somewhere in your equation...?)

Please reply with clarification. Thank you! :D

Eliz.