finding corresponding y values if y=x^2 +2x -15

Missy

I really don't understand how to go about doing this

from the x values of -4,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2 if y=x^2 +2x -15

I don't know how to begin doing this can you help me. I know that I bother you all alot with my questions, but this algebra stuff is so new to someone that is 50 years of age.
Thank you again,
Missy

Re: finding corresponding y values

Missy said:
I really don't understand how to go about doing this
from the x values of -4,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2 if y=x^2 +2x -15
I don't know how to begin doing this can you help me. I know that I bother you all alot with my questions, but this algebra stuff is so new to someone that is 50 years of age.
Substitute each value of x into your equation for y and compute y.

For x = 2, y = 2^2 + 2(2) - 15 = 4 + 4 - 15 = -11.

Re: finding corresponding y values

so when I do the t-table would it be as such
x y

-4 4*-4^2
-3 3*-3^2
and so on this is where I get confused could you explain if this is what meant, I am sorry I'm just trying to grasp the concept
Missy

Missy said:
this is where I get confused could you explain if this is what meant
Your class was supposed to have explained, in depth, how to evaluate expressions at a given input value, before ever having assigned exercises where this was required! :shock:

To learn what wasn't covered in your course (since we cannot teach classes here), try studying from some of the many great lessons available online:

. . . . .Google results for "evaluation expression"

It's a pretty straightforward process, commonly referred to as "plug-n-chug". Reader's Digest version: plug the given value in for the given variable, and chug away to the answer! :wink:

Eliz.

Eliz: Yes this was explained but even with the explantation I still find it a bit confusing, just thought that someone could explain a little better, I will go back and listen to the class archives again and see if I can get some understanding sorry to have bothered you.

Thanks anyway
Missy

Missy said:
Yes this was explained but even with the explantation I still find it a bit confusing, just thought that someone could explain a little better, I will go back and listen to the class archives again...
Would I be correct in concluding from the above that you're having to try to figure this stuff out from an online "class" of some sort...? If so, then your confusion is fairly common. I've yet to hear of any truly successful online math course. The students always end up going online for lessons or else hiring a qualified local tutor to provide the teaching which simply isn't happening through the paid interface. :shock:

Since the "lesson" in the archives left you confused, try studying from some of the other (and usually better!) online lessons available by clicking on the Google link provided earlier. It really is pretty simple, once you've been given a sensible explanation! :wink:

Have fun! :D

Eliz.

I have been on the computer all day and have looked at everything even google that you suggested and I still don't understand. I was referred to this website because I was told that I could ask any type of question and now I see that I can't thank you for the help that you have given me in the past. I just thought that someone could tell me if I was on the right tack. Everyone in their lives need a little bit of extra help but. Live long enough and you will see :cry: :cry:
Missy

Missy said:
I have been on the computer all day and have looked at everything even google that you suggested and I still don't understand.
Hmm... That's not good. :(

I'm sorry to hear that "plug the number in for the letter, and simplify" isn't making any sense to you, even after having studied so many lessons containing so many worked examples. But I've had enough decades of experience to know when we're beat! (After all, how could we, in a short forum posting, possibly explain the topic any more completely than all those online lessons you read?) We can help students work through specific exercises, but this assistance requires that the student have at least a basic grasp of what is going on, an understanding which you have indicated is missing. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide the hours of instruction necessary to get you "up to speed". Sorry! :oops:

Please consider hiring a qualified local tutor and setting aside a few hours a week for concentrated re-teaching. By working face-to-face with you, being able to see your textbook, class notes, etc, your tutor will be able to see how far to back up and what topics to explain. With any luck, you'll be caught up to your class in only a few weeks! :D

Eliz.