5th grade math tables

Emsmom

Hi Please help me!! all of my daughters problems look like this . I have no idea how to begin finding the answers as i do not know the process for finding them....
T Tables??? x y
-------
1 3
2 4
3 5
All of the answers are given. they are all ..I will give examples...y = x - 4 or y = x +2 or y = 2x + 1.. On that idea. where do you begin to find out what x or y is other than guessing ???? Many thanks in advance!! I never learned this in fifth grade. I am stumped......

Emsmom said:
all of my daughters problems look like this . I have no idea how to begin finding the answers as i do not know the process for finding them....
where do you begin to find out what x or y is other than guessing ?
Lacking othe information (such as the stipulation that all graphs be assumed to be linear, etc), all you can[/] do is guess. Granted, the guessing can be fairly sophisticated, such as doing regressions, but many schools just have the kids punch buttons on their graphing calculators, so they can get the desired answers without actually learning any mathematics.

Unfortunately, we don't have access to the "context" being assumed for this exercise set, which makes it difficult to advise. (We could guess, but our guesses could easily be quite wrong.) Since you're having to complete the assignment, and apparently her textbook, handouts, and class notes don't mention any of this material, would it be possible for you to start attending the classes with her...?

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Because you indicate this is a 5th grade problem I'm guessing that you need to find a rule that works for all the entries in the table. For instance for the table given...
x y
1 3
2 4
3 5

... a possible rule would be to add 2 to the given x-value to get the given y-value. Mathematically, we could write that rule as "y=x+2".