Algebra: find perimeter & area, rationalize denominator

maescandon

I am having problems with these if someone can show me I would be so happy thank you

1. Find a polynomial for the perimter and for the area

it a sqaure and it has n+3 on top and the right side it has n

2. Rationalize the denominator assume that all expressions under radicals represent positive number

(?(a)+?(b))/(?(a)+?(b))

3. In a right triangle find the length of the side not given, if the other two sides have lengths b=2, c=?(13).

maescandon said:
1. Find a polynomial for the perimter and for the area

it a sqaure and it has n+3 on top and the right side it has n
I will guess that "it" is a drawing, and, since squares have sides all having the same length, and since obviously "n + 3" cannot be the same value as "n", I will guess that the shape in the drawing is probably a rectangle. I will guess that the listed notations indicate the length and width of that rectangle.

What are the formulas for the area A and the perimeter P of a rectangle with length L and width w?

maescandon said:
2. Rationalize the denominator assume that all expressions under radicals represent positive number

(?(a)+?(b))/(?(a)+?(b))
What process did they teach you for rationalizing denominators? How far have you gotten in that process?

maescandon said:
3. In a right triangle find the length of the side not given, if the other two sides have lengths b=2, c=?(13).
Since we aren't told which of the three sides is the hypotenuse, there is not a unique answer. So plug the given values into two spots in the Pythagorean Theorem (say, using them as both of the short sides of the right triangle), and find the value of the third side. Then plug the given values into a different set of two spots (the hypotenuse being the side with length c and the other value being the length of one of the short sides), and solve for the other possible value.

Remember to clearly list, in your hand-in answer, the reasoning behind each answer. :wink:

Eliz.