Probability: drawing 3 cards; tossing 3 coins and getting...

Becks1552

Ok so I have a few questions I need help with.

1: A set of three cards is chosen from a standard deck of 52 cards. Find the probability that all three cards are clubs or face cards.

so...*thinking* P (club n club n club) + p (Facecard n facecard n facecard) -P(club facecard n club facecard n club facecard)??? then what?

2: Three coins are tossed one after the other. Determine the proabbility that the coins will result in:

(a) Exactly one tail, given the first toss is a tail

(b) no heads, given that the first two tosses were tails

p( no heads) /p( first two tails) ??????

Becks1552 said:
1: A set of three cards is chosen from a standard deck of 52 cards. Find the probability that all three cards are clubs or face cards.
I will guess that, by "n", you mean "set intersection"; also, I will guess that, contrary to standard mathematical terminology, your course uses "p" and "P" interchangeable for some reason, with both standing for "the probability of".

I'm not clear, however, on what you might mean by your probability statements...?

How many cards are in a standard deck? In how many ways could you choose three of them?

How many "clubs" are in a standard deck? In how many ways could you choose three of them?

So what is the probability that, in drawing three cards, you have drawn three clubs?

How many "face cards" are in a standard deck? In how many ways could you choose three of them?

So what is the probability that, in drawing three cards, you have drawn three face cards?

How many face cards are clubs in a standard deck? In how many ways could you choose three of them?

So what is the probability that, in drawing three cards, you have drawn three face cards that are also clubs?

Add the first two probabilities, and then subtract the third, being the "overlap".

Becks1552 said:
2: Three coins are tossed one after the other. Determine the proabbility that the coins will result in:
(a) Exactly one tail, given the first toss is a tail
(b) no heads, given that the first two tosses were tails
p( no heads) /p( first two tails) ??????
What are your thoughts? What have you tried? How far did you get? Where are you stuck?

Please be complete. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

sorry. It should be "P" just typos.

52C3

(52 cards in a deck and you want to choose 3)

13 clubs in a deck

13C3 because you want all 3 to be clubs? + 12C3 (12 facecards in a deck) - 9C3 (12 -3 facecards that are clubs) ??? that right???