Word Problem Help Needed

kacysmom

It has been years since I took algebra. The following is my word problem that I just can't figure out.

The Zeller Jewelry Company sold gold rings for $50 each and silver rings for $35 each. Total sales were $2,400. If customers bought twice as many silver as gold rings, how many of each did the store sell? Find the total dollar sales of each.

I have to write these into equations then solve. I have been staring at this problem for over 2 hours now.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!

kacysmom said:
The Zeller Jewelry Company sold gold rings for $50 each and silver rings for $35 each. Total sales were $2,400. If customers bought twice as many silver as gold rings, how many of each did the store sell? Find the total dollar sales of each.
The Zeller Jewelry Company sold gold rings for $50 each and silver rings for $35 each or 50G + 35S = 2400.

Customers bought twice as many silver as gold rings or S = 2G.

Substitute S = 2G into the first expression and solve.

Note the difference between the number of items and the value of the items.
Name stuff.
Let g represent the number of gold rings sold.
Let s represent the number of silver rings sold.
Then 50g represents the value of the gold rings sold.
And 35s represents the value of the silver rings sold.

Now, do the equations given above make sense?

You really can do this one quite quickly:

for each gold ring sold, 2 silver rings were sold: 50 + 35 + 35 = 120

2400 / 120 = ?