Write eqn modelling age of each when ages sum to 150; then

French_grl

Write an equation that models how old in years each of you will be, when your ages add up to 150 years old. For example if the eldest person was one year older than you, then the equation would be x (you) = (x = 1) (eldert person) = 150. Then write an equation which models how old in years each of you will be when you are 3 times as old as the younger perosn.

My ages were 40 (me) , eldest person 50 and youonger person 14.

French_grl said:
Write an equation that models how old in years each of you will be, when your ages add up to 150 years old. For example if the eldest person was one year older than you, then the equation would be x (you) = (x = 1) (eldert person) = 150. Then write an equation which models how old in years each of you will be when you are 3 times as old as the younger perosn.

My ages were 40 (me) , eldest person 50 and youonger person 14.
The "equation" given in the exercise is gibberish, so we'll ignore that.

Start with basic principles. What is the sum of your three ages now? How much shy of 150 is this?

Since, as you age (and assuming nobody dies), you'll each be adding the same number of years to your ages, you'll each need to add one-third of this difference, in order for your summed ages to equal 150. So how much must be added?

I'm not sure what "one equation" is intended, though something along these lines might work. However, at base, this exercise is very badly written.... :shock:

Eliz.