solve the inequality: 4 - 3x <= 8 + x

Aalyah

i need help desperatly please show me how to do this problem step by step!
4-3x [less than or equal to] 8+x

4-3x < 8+x

Solve the inequality as you would any equation with one exception. That exception is "when multiplying or dividing both sides of the inequality by a negative number you must change the sense of the inequality." "Changing the sense" means to change a < to a > or visa versa.

Aalyah said:
Since all of the worked examples shown in your book and done in class on the board have left you still "desparately" confused, obviously doing one more worked example won't help much (other than to complete part of your homework for you, which of course isn't the point of responsible tutoring). From what you have posted, you clearly need more lesson instruction, something we cannot provide within this environment, unfortunately. Sorry! :oops:

Fortunately, there are loads of great lessons available online! :wink:

. . . . .Google results for "solving linear inequalities"

Please study at least two lessons from the above list of links. Once you have learned the basic terms and techniques, please attempt the exercise. Then, if you get stuck or if you are unsure of your solution, you can reply with a clear listing of your work and reasoning. :idea:

(Or, if you are still unable to make any start, you will know that it is time to seriously consider hiring a qualified local tutor and setting aside an hour or two a day for diligent re-learning of the past few months' material.)

Have fun! :D

Eliz.

Aalyah said:
4-3x [less than or equal to] 8+x

Please show us how would you solve for 'x' from the given equation (no inequality)

4 - 3x = 8 + x