solve the equation: 3(3x + 1) = 13 - 6x

Aalyah

could someone show me step by step how to do this : :? 3(3x+1)=13-6x

3(3x+1)=13-6x

1) Remove parenthesis by multiplying monomial times binomial.
2) Get all the terms containing a variable on the same side of the equation by adding and/or subtracting the same terms containing a variable to/from both sides of the equation.
3) Combine like terms.
4) Get all the terms not containing a variable on the same side of the equation by adding and/or subtracting the same terms not containing a variable to/from both sides of the equation.
5) Combine like terms.
6) Divide both sides of the equation by the coefficient of the term containing a variable.
7) Reduce fraction to lowest terms.
8) Check your answer by substituting the obtained value of x into the original equation and performing the arithmetic. If the resulting statement tells the truth, you have found the correct solution. If not, start over.

Next time, when you ask a question, please show us your work so far.

Aalyah said:
the answer I got was x=10/9 I got a feeling this is not right
How did you get your answer? You followed the step-by-step instructions provided earlier, the results at each step being... what?

Why do you "feel" that your solution is incorrect? You plugged your solution back into the original equation (like they showed you in class for the "solve and check" thing), and then... what?

Please be complete. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

(This thread is a good example of why the posting instructions ask posters to show their work: until one provides a clear step-by-step listing of one's work and reasoning, tutors cannot reply intelligently, since they cannot "see" what the student is doing.)