my answers to 3 radical problems.

SkitZoid

Hello,

Attached via .jpg are three problems I wanted to check with you all and see if I did them correctly.
Thanks in advance,

J

Attachments

• radicals#1.jpg
    radicals#1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 222
I attached another problem I tried to complete. The answer I ended up with is -3 (see the uploaded picture :) ). Thanks again!

Attachments

• radicals#2.jpg
    radicals#2.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 215
What were the instructions for these various exercises?

How did you obtain your answers? For instance, for the fourth exercise, you have the square of a difference, so you started by writing out the square and then expanding (as you've been taught for things like "FOIL"):

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{6}\, -\, 3\right)^2\, =\, \left(\sqrt{6}\,-\, 3\right)\left(\sqrt{6}\,-\, 3\right)\)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\(\displaystyle =\, \sqrt{6}\sqrt{6}\, -\, 3\sqrt{6}\, -\, 3\sqrt{6}\, +\, (3)(3)\)

How did you get from this to your final expression and value?

Please be complete. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

SkitZoid said:
Hello,

Attached via .jpg are three problems I wanted to check with you all and see if I did them correctly.
Thanks in advance,

J

1) \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{9}}{\sqrt{81}}=\frac{3}{9}=\frac{1}{3}\)

2) You may need to "rationalize" the denominator for this one. That means to eliminate the radical from the denominator. Eliminate the radical by multiplying both numerator and denominator by a value that makes the denominator an integer. It depends on what your instructions told you to do.

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt[5]{1}}{\sqrt[5]{31}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt[5]{31}} \cdot \frac{(\sqrt[5]{31})^4}{( \sqrt[5]{31})^4}=\frac{\sqrt[5]{31^4}}{31}\)

3)Correct

Last one:

1)\(\displaystyle (\sqrt{6} - 3)^2\)

Use this rule: \(\displaystyle (a - b)^2=a^2-2ab+b^2\)

\(\displaystyle (\sqrt{6})^2-2(3\sqrt{6})+(3)^2\)

\(\displaystyle 6-6\sqrt{6}+9\)

\(\displaystyle 15-6\sqrt{6}\)

staple thanks for pointing out the explanations that are needed, next time I will do a better job explaining the steps and thought process along with the problems, that aught to help everyone involved ;)

masters thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.