Word problem Complications: selling peaches and tomatoes

luvin_mikey

I can not solve this word problem. I have asked several family members for assistance but they all said that the also did not know how to solve it. The problem is:

Part 1: The number of tomatoes a farmer sold at his stand was 3 more than twice the number of peaches sold. A total number of 36 tomatoes and peaches were sold.

Which of the following is an Equation that represents the given information?

1.) 2x+3=36

2.) x+3=2(36)

3.) x+2x+3=36

4.) x+3(2x)=36

Part 2: How many tomatoes did the farmer sell? ___

The ONLY thing I have been able to find is..

6+6=12 (twice the number of peaches)
12x3=36 (3 times then twice number of peaches)

But, I am sure i did it WRONG.

The only other way i could think of is..

16.5+16.5=33

33+3+36

wich would be 2x+3=36. Which does not see correct either. Because it doesn't seem to solve the 3 times more issue for me.

So, as you can clearly see.. I NEED HELP!!!

Part 1: The number of tomatoes a farmer sold at his stand was 3 more than twice the number of peaches sold. A total number of 36 tomatoes and peaches were sold. Which of the following is an Equation that represents the given information?

1.) 2x+3=36
2.) x+3=2(36)
3.) x+2x+3=36
4.) x+3(2x)=36

Part 2: How many tomatoes did the farmer sell? ___
Let T and P represent the numbers of tomatoes and peaches.

Then, you are told that the sum of tomatoes and peaches is 36 which can be written as T + P = 36.

You are also told that the number of tomatoes sold is 3 more than twice the number of peaches which translates to T = 2P + 3.

Solve the first expression for T = 36 - P and substitute into the second expressio0n and solve for P and then T.

It can be as simple as:
let peaches = x; then tomatoes = 2x + 3

So x + 2x + 3 = 36
3x + 3 = 36