find num. of rectangles, num. of outfits, min. num. of bks.,

Kets

Can someone tell me how to do these problems? (I don't need the answers, I just want to know how to do them.)

How many rectangles are in this picture?

From a wardrobe of 10 sweaters, 8 jeans and 4 pairs of shoes, how many different outfits consisting of a sweater, jeans, and a pair of shoes can a student choose?

How many triangles are in this picture?

YOur math club decides to publish a book of sample problems. The initial cost, regardless of the number of books printed, is $750. After the initial charge, each book costs $2 to produce. What is the smallest number of books your club would need to sell at $5.5o per copy to clear at least 1000?

I dont understand the use of the word "Clear" in the last sentence.

And I was just wondering about this question:

|2x – 3| ? 13

Do I need to flip the inequality symbol for the negative? (2x – 3 ? -13 or 2x – 3 ? -13?)

Re: How do I do these problems?

Kets said:
Can someone tell me how to do these problems? (I don't need the answers, I just want to know how to do them.)

How many rectangles are in this picture? <<< You tell us - just remember two smaller rectangles together make a new bigger rectangle.

From a wardrobe of 10 sweaters, 8 jeans and 4 pairs of shoes, how many different outfits consisting of a sweater, jeans, and a pair of shoes can a student choose?

This is a straight forward question - look at the examples in your text book

How many triangles are in this picture? <<< You count and tell us

YOur math club decides to publish a book of sample problems. The initial cost, regardless of the number of books printed, is $750. After the initial charge, each book costs $2 to produce. What is the smallest number of books your club would need to sell at $5.5o per copy to clear at least 1000?

In these contexts, "clear" means "profit" (revenue - cost = profit)

I dont understand the use of the word "Clear" in the last sentence.

And I was just wondering about this question:

|2x – 3| ? 13

It means

(2x-3) ? 13

and

- (2x - 3) ? 13

Do I need to flip the inequality symbol for the negative? (2x – 3 ? -13 or 2x – 3 ? -13?)

Thanks! But is there some sort of algebraic way to count the rectangles/triangles?

Suppose the wardrobe consisted of 1 sweater, 1 jeans and 4 pairs of shoes, how many different outfits would there be?
Think of 3 blanks to fill in. The first blank is sweaters, the second is jeans and the third is pairs of shoes.
__ __ __
1 1 4 . Do you see there are 4 different outfits? What to do with the 1, 1 and 4 to get an answer of 4?

Suppose the wardrobe consisted of 1 sweater, 2 jeans and 4 pairs of shoes, how many different outfits would there be?
1 2 4 . Do you see that with each of the jeans you would have 4 different pairs of shoes for a total of 8 different outfits? What to do with 1, 2 and 4 to get 8?

Suppose the wardrobe consisted of 2 sweaters, 1 jeans and 4 pairs of shoes, how many different outfits would there be? Answer is 8. What would you do with the 1, 2 and 4 to get 8?

Suppose the wardrobe consisted of 2 sweater, 2 jeans and 4 pairs of shoes, how many different outfits would there be? 16. How do you get it?

Now apply this discovered procedure to the original problem.

How many triangles are in this picture?

Given any irregular polygon, or n-gon. Draw "n-3" lines from each vertex to "n-3" points on the opposite sides of the n-gon such that no three of the lines intersect at the same point. How many triangles do all the lines divide the interior of the n-gon into? Only singular triangles are to be counted.

Our first n-gon, with (n+2) sides, is a triangle with 3 sides but no internal lines. Therefore, we have but one triangle.
Our second n-gon is a quadrilateral with two internal lines creating 4 individual triangles.
Our third n-gon is a pentagon with five internal linese creating 10 individual triangles.
Our fourth n-gon is a hexagon with7 internal lines creating 19 individual triangles.
What can we learn from this information that would enable us to define the number of triangles within any n-gon? Lets summarize the data derive so far.

n...................1......2......3......4
Sides............3......4......5......6
Triangles.......1......4.....10....19
1st Difference....3......6......9
2nd Difference.......3......3

An expression can be derived enabling the definition the nth term (or the (n+2)-gon) of any finite difference series. The expression is a function of the number of successive differences required to reach the constant difference. If the first differences are constant, the expression is of the first order, i.e., N = an + b. If the second differences are constant, the expression is of the second order, i.e., N(n) = an^2 + bn + c. Similarly, constant third differences derive from N = an^3 + bn^2 + cn + d. Using the data points (n1, N1), (n2,N2), (n3,N3), etc., from our data, we substitute them into N = an^2 + bn + c as follows:

(n1,N1) = (1,3) produces a(1^2) + b(1^1) + c = 3 or a + b + c = 3
(n2,N2) = (2,4) produces a(2^2) + b(2^1) + c = 4 or 4a + 2b + c = 4
(n3,N3) = (3,10) produces a(3^2) + b(3^1) + c = 10 or 9a + 3b + c = 10

Subtracting successive pairs leads us to a = 3/2, b = -3/2, and c = 1. Therefore, our expression for the the number of triangles within the nth n-gon having (n+2) sides is N(n) = (3n^2 - 3n + 2)/2.