finding and area of a triangle

diana46

Hi all,
I am so lost with my algebra class; I am taking this online and would appreciate any help, suggestions, feedback.
The problem I am to do is this: Find an area of a triangle with vertices that have coordinates of (0,9), (0, -4), and (5, -4). Thanks if you can help. Diana

Here's one approach (a long one).
The distance between two points is given by the formula...
\(\displaystyle d=\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2 +(y_2-y_1)^2}\)

So, the distance between (0,9) and (0, -4) is...

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{(0-0)^2 +(-4-9)^2}=\sqrt{0^2+(-13)^2}=\sqrt{169}=13\) units.

In like manner you can find length of other two sides.

Then use Hero's (Heron's) formula...
\(\displaystyle A=\sqrt{s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)}\) where s=(1/2)(a+b+c) and a,b and c are the lengths of the sides of a triangle.

diana46 said:
Hi all,
I am so lost with my algebra class; I am taking this online and would appreciate any help, suggestions, feedback.
The problem I am to do is this: Find an area of a triangle with vertices that have coordinates of (0,9), (0, -4), and (5, -4). Thanks if you can help.

Given the rectangular coordinates of the three vertices, the area of a triangle whose vertices are P1(x1,y1), P2(x2,y2), P3(x3,y3) is given by Area triangle P1P2P3 = 1/2[(x1y2 - x2y1) + (x2y3 - x3y2) + (x3y1 - x1y3)].
Method:
First step-Write down the vertices in two columns, abscissas in one, ordinates in the other, repeating the coordinates of the first vertex. They must be in order around the triangle, clockwise preferably.
Second step-Multiply each abscissa by the ordinate of the next row, and add the results. This gives x1y2+x2y3+x3y1.
Third step-Multiply each ordinate by the abscissa of the next row, and add the results. This gives y1x2+y2x3+y3x1.
Fourth step-Subtract the result of the third step from that of the second step, and divide by 2. This gives the required area. (If you list the vertices in clockwise order the result will be positive. If you list them is counterclockwise order the result will be negative.)
For example, consider the coordinates (0, 4), (4, 2), (-4, -6) from which our table looks like:
x1 y1 0 +4
x2 y2 +4 +2
x3 y3 -4 -6
x1 y2 0 +4
For the second step--0x3 + 4x(-6) + (-4)x4 = 0-24-16 = -40
For the third step------4x4 + 2x(-4) + (-6)x0 = 16-8+0 = 8
For the fourth step--[8-(-40)]/2 = 24 sq units. That was easy.
This method applies to any multiple sided figure that a set of vertices produces.

diana46 said:
Hi all,
The problem I am to do is this: Find an area of a triangle with vertices that have coordinates of (0,9), (0, -4), and (5, -4). Thanks if you can help. Diana

Sketch a diagram of the three points connected on a Cartesian coordinate grid. You'll see that the three points form a right triangle with base = 5 and height = 13.

Now use the area formula for a triangle. Work smart ... not hard.

Thanks for the replies; it just makes no sense to me...I don't know what to do ...

diana46 said:
Hi all,

Skeeter gave you the BEST advice...

plot the points given and draw the triangle.

Once you do this, you should see that one side of the triangle is on a horizontal line...the segment connecting (0, -4) and (5, -4).

Call that side the "base" of the triangle...and you should readily be able to determine the length of that side.

The third vertex of the triangle is at (0, 9). You should be able to determine the perpendicular distance between this point and the base (which is known as the HEIGHT of the triangle)..after all, if you draw this out, you should see that the triangle is a RIGHT triangle!

Now...

For any triangle,

Area = (1/2)*base * height

If all of this is still confusing to you, I'd suggest that you have a face-to-face meeting with your instructor.

Diana, are you sure of coordinates (0,9)? Perhaps a typo and should be (0,8)?

Anyhow, if you don't know basics like (as example) a 3-4-5 triangle is a right triangle with area = 3*4/2 = 6,
then you definitely need to follow Mrspi's advice.

Hi Denis,
I checked the numbers and what I posted is correct; I am hoping to find a tutor today, as I have never had algebra in high school. I wish I could have taken Algebra in a classroom, but I will my best. I am working towards my Medical Coding certificate and will graduate Sept 2008! Yeah for me. Thanks for the help and tips. Diane

Try googling "area of triangle with given coordinates".

If nothing else, at least you'll see why it's almost "impossible" to "teach" that here :cry: