Let A be neg. real number: Is -A positive or negative? Why?

taragbeh

CAN SOMEONE ASSIT ME WITH THESE. I AM HAVING A HRAD TIME UNDERSTANDING THESE.

take for instance A is a negative real number. Determine whether these are negative or postive and explain why.

A) -A
B) [-A]
c)-[A]
d) -(-A)
E) -[-A]

Given Information: A is a negative Real Number

This reduces your problem set to:

A) -(Negative)
B) [Negative]
c)-[Negative]
d) -(-(Negative))
E) -[-(Negative)]

Rule #1 - Absolute Value is ALWAYS positive, no matter what it was before.

This reduces your problem set to

A) -(Negative)
B) [Negative] ==> Positive -- This one is done.
c)-[Negative] ==> -(Positive)
d) -(-(Negative))
E) -[-(Negative)] ==> -(Positive)

Notice how it doesn't care if you multiplied by negative one inside the absolute values.

|Something| = |-Something| = |-(-Something)| = |-(-(-(Something)))| = Something Positive

Rule #2 - Multiplication by -1 changes the Sign, no matter what it was before.

This reduces your problem set to

A) -(Negative) ==> Positive

c)-[Negative] ==> -(Positive) ==> Negative
d) -(-(Negative)) ==> -(Positive) ==> Negative
E) -[-(Negative)] ==> -(Positive) ==> Negative

Follow each one, one piece at a time. Don't forget the Order of Operations. Work from the inside.

Bear in mind that the "-" sign can be viewed as meaning "subtract", "negative" or "opposite of".

Sometimes it helps to actually substitute in a real value for the variable and then determine what is happening. For instance, if A=-3, we have...

A) -(-3) means "the opposite of a negative 3" which is ???
B) [-(-3)] means the absolute value of the opposite of a negative 3. What is the opposite of a negative 3? Then, what is the absolute value of that?
c)-[-3] means the opposite of the absolute value of a negative 3. What is the absolute value of a negative 3? Then, what is the opposite of that?
d) -(-(-3)) means the opposite of the opposite of a negative 3. You can figure that out???
E) -[-(-3)] means the opposite of the absolute value of the opposite of a negative 3.

In figuring these out, follow the order of operations convention, which tells you to work on grouping symbols from the inside out.

Hope this helps.

tkhunny said:
Given Information: A is a negative Real Number. This reduces your problem set to....
I am trying to understand what you wrote but not sure. Where is the correct answer. Is there only 2 rules? Can you amke ita bt clearer~~~~ Thanks

taragbeh said:
Can you make it a bit clearer~~~~ Thanks
Follow each one, one piece at a time. Don't forget the Order of Operations. Work from the inside.

I really cannot make it any more clear than that. Cut and paste my first post one problem at a time. Working all five simultaneously may be a bit confusing.

There are as many rules as I make up. In this case, the solution to all five of the problems you presented required only two. Rule #3 is Think about what you are doing. Make sure each step makes sense.