$12,590 sale price was 20% regular price; find original pric

jade213

I'm not good at math really at all.. and I'm ganna be going and taking my g.e.d here soon and im stuck with a question??

4. The sales price of a car is $12,590, which is 20% off the original price. What is the original price?

A. $14,310.40
B. $14,990.90
C. $15,290.70
D. $15,737.50
E. $16,935.80

please help me step by step.:)
thanks

Re: I need help

Original Price - 20% of Original Price = Sale Price.

No it wants to know what the original price was
if 20% was taken off of it....

I need help with percents per say though...

jade213 said:
No it wants to know what the original price was if 20% was taken off of it....
Yes. And the equation the tutor gave you can be solved to find that value. So take the equation, pick a variable to stand for the unknown, plug in the given values, and solve. :wink:

Eliz.

I am VERY disappointed that $15,108 is NOT one of the choices. Is there a convention against having that in the set of possible answers?

tkhunny said:
I am VERY disappointed that $15,108 is NOT one of the choices. Is there a convention against having that in the set of possible answers?

Since 15108 is not the correct answer and the correct answer is included in the set of possible answers - why do you want 15108 in the set of possible answers?

I have written test question for the state exams for both Florida and Ohio. In both cases, choices had to be a result of an improper selection of operations or some other error that was possible and probable to make. For instance, the student added instead of subtracted or added instead of multiplied, etc. Therefore, for this question the answer $15,108 would have been included as a choice if I had written the question. The reason being that the most common mistake made by students who miss this type of question is that they take 20% of the selling price and add it to the selling price to get the original price.

Subhotosh Khan said:
- why do you want 15108 in the set of possible answers?
Feedback. How can I know how to help the student if I can't figure out what the student did?