Basic functions and Linear Transformations

Bora

My daughter has homework...Usually I can assist her with her work, but this topic is Japanese to me and the worksheet has no sample!!!! This is 1 of the problems...

For the function y = 3x, identify the basic funtion then describe the transformations on the basic functions that will result in the graph of the given function.

Help please!!!

3x indicates multiplication by 3 (You knew that!) - this can be seen as a compression or expansion. Experiment with intervals, rather than just numbers and you should be able to see it.

For example: 2*3 = 6 So?? What does that tell us?

If we take ALL the values from 2 through 7, we get all the values from 6 through 21 and we begin to see a picture. The interval used to be 5 wide. After the expansion, it is 15 wide. Fortunately, there is notation to make saying this much eaiser, Usually something like this [2,7] ==> [6,21], or you can write a little "3x" above the arrow.

Unfortunately, you did not communicate the "given transformation" to us, so I cannot make a comment on that.

Bora said:
My daughter has homework...Usually I can assist her with her work, but this topic is Japanese to me and the worksheet has no sample!!!! This is 1 of the problems...

For the function y = 3x, identify the basic funtion then describe the transformations on the basic functions that will result in the graph of the given function.

Help please!!!
usually for

y = A * x

The basic function is

y = x (why?)

and the transformation is expansion of x-axis (as explained by tkhunny above).

Did you check the textbook - generally those have many example problems and "these" will be well explained there.