of 37, 18 neither overweight nor lawyers; 13 are lawyers,...

erfugate

In a group of 37 people, 18 are neither overweight nor lawyers. Ten are overweight and 13 are lawyers. How many lawyers in the group are not overweight?

this is a problem my maths 201 professor gave to us any help would be great

Re: help me please

erfugate said:
In a group of 37 people, 18 are neither overweight nor lawyers. Ten are overweight and 13 are lawyers. How many lawyers in the group are not overweight?

this is a problem my maths 201 professor gave to us any help would be great

Please share with us your work/thoughts - so that we know where to begin to help you.

For a refresher on these types of problems, go to:

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/venndiag.htm

I have tried some things but they don't make sense.

ok so i have 18 people who are not overweight or lawyers, they go in one bubble right, then another bubble for the lawyers that is 13 people in that bubble, then another bubble for the overweight people and there are ten of them, what i dont get is that if i do that and count them up i have 41 people more than i am supposed to have

ok so 37-18 leaves 19 people

i can even split them up but them that doesn't work either i need 13 total people on the lawyers side and ten on the overweight side
if i put four in the overlap that leaves 9 lawyers who are not overweight and 6 overweight who are not lawyers and four overweight lawyers!!!!!
is that right?????? :!: :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hi Erfugate:

Two of your "bubbles" should overlap.

Did you start with a Venn diagram?

Cheers,

~ Mark :)

I think you're right when you say 19 are lawyers or overweight, except you must consider the fact that possibly some are overweight AND lawyers. So, out of the 19 if 10 are overweight and 13 are lawyers, how many are overweight lawyers?

I would draw two overlapping circles and place an x in that part of the diagram that is in both circles. This gives you three areas within the two circles with an x in that portion which is in both circles. Now, figure out how to represent the other two areas in terms of number of lawyers, overweights, etc. Then you know that if you add up the expressions in each of the three areas, the total is 19. That will tell you how many are in both circles and from there it is a piece of cake.

mmm4444bot said:
Hi Erfugate:

Two of your "bubbles" should overlap.

Did you start with a Venn diagram?

Cheers,

Yes i did use a venn diagram with two overlapping circles.....So do you get the same thing I did then or are there multiple possibilities???

Hi Erfugate:

There is only one possibility because the total number of people in the box is 37.

Here's a picture to go with Loren's steps.

The three questions marks are numbers that must add up to 19.

Double-click the image to expand it.

Attachments

• venn32.JPG
    venn32.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 576

erfugate said:
... i put four in the overlap that leaves 9 lawyers who are not overweight and 6 overweight who are not lawyers and four overweight lawyers!!!!!
is that right??????

YES, this is correct. (I missed your answer; I was more focused on your statement about 41 people ...)

Anyway, Loren's approach is to let the left question mark be 10-x and the right question mark be 13-x. Then you write an equation.

10 - x + x + 13 - x = 19

23 - x = 19

x = 4

~ Mark

Thank you all very much for your help with this!!!!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: