Calculating a Percentage Variance

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenannigan

How do I calculate a percentage variance. For example - comparing the year 2007 sales to the year 2008 sales. Help!

shenannigan said:
How do I calculate a percentage variance. For example - comparing the year 2007 sales to the year 2008 sales. Help!

According to your textbook/classnotes - what is the definition of percentage variance (in words and mathematically)?

Subhotosh Khan said:
shenannigan said:

According to your textbook/classnotes - what is the definition of percentage variance (in words and mathematically)?

Subhotosh, for example (in words): Sales for the year 2006 were $135,000. Sales for the year 2007 were $75,000. Now I realize the dollar variation is $60,000 (in the red). BUT, HOW do I figure the percentage variation??? If I knew the formula or the "how to", I could apply it to my reports. Thank you and please let me know if I can make this more clear.

Okay, you've now provided the exercise "in words", but I'm afraid we still need your book's definition of "percentage variance". So kindly please look that up and reply. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Re:

stapel said:
Okay, you've now provided the exercise "in words", but I'm afraid we still need your book's definition of "percentage variance". So kindly please look that up and reply. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

If I had a book and/or a "teacher", I could figure this out. Sorry to be so upfront but I'm in the real world already. No books, no school proms etc etc. Can anyone answer my question or not? My "guess" is that the difference from the base would give a correct percentage, but this answer MUST be correct as I will also guide a 5-year forecast to include the corporation's salaries and capital expenditures (in the millions annually). Please help if you can or tell me you do not know how to do this so that I can select another avenue. If this simple base answer is not correct, it will affect the entire report. Thanks.

Since none of the lessons you've found online using appropriate keywords gave you the information you needed, then you must mean something other than the usual "percentage increase or decrease over the original amount". And lacking a definition for whatever it is that you need to do, we can't be quite sure how to help. Sorry! :oops:

Eliz.

Re:

stapel said:
Since none of the lessons you've found online using appropriate keywords gave you the information you needed, then you must mean something other than the usual "percentage increase or decrease over the original amount". And lacking a definition for whatever it is that you need to do, we can't be quite sure how to help. Sorry! :oops:

Eliz.

There is no lack of definition here. But, there IS some density which exists and it's called 'communication'. The "percentage increase or decrease over the original base amount" is EXACTLY the issue. I'm terribly sad that you need to make something much more complicated than it is. Therefore, please get back to your lessons or whatever you "define" them to be. Meantime, I've discovered that other folks on the Internet have the common sense I'm seeking, and the would-be problem has been resolved satisfactorily. Lots of luck to you in the future - I think you will need it to get by. By the way, you might want to seek a different vocation. Thanks for all the great help....NOT!

Re: Re:

shenannigan said:
If I had a book and/or a "teacher", I could figure this out. Sorry to be so upfront but I'm in the real world already. No books, no school proms etc etc. Can anyone answer my question or not? My "guess" is that the difference from the base would give a correct percentage, but this answer MUST be correct as I will also guide a 5-year forecast to include the corporation's salaries and capital expenditures (in the millions annually). Please help if you can or tell me you do not know how to do this so that I can select another avenue. If this simple base answer is not correct, it will affect the entire report. Thanks.

No wonder we are in such financial quagmire !!!!!

Re: Re:

shenannigan said:
But, there IS some density which exists and it's called 'communication'. I'm terribly sad that you need to make something much more complicated than it is. Therefore, please get back to your lessons or whatever you "define" them to be. Meantime, I've discovered that other folks on the Internet have the common sense I'm seeking, and the would-be problem has been resolved satisfactorily. Lots of luck to you in the future - I think you will need it to get by. By the way, you might want to seek a different vocation. Thanks for all the great help....NOT!

Please be rude elsewhere. Simply answering the question is the way to go. If someone else happened to GUESS at what you wanted, that is great. You failed to voice your question adequately. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.