completing the square with variables

lovezoey101

my teacher always assigns some homework with material not taught.
how do you complete the square with variables?
Solve by completing the square. Assume that a,b, and c are nonzero constants.
x squared + x + c = 0
x squared + bx + c = 0
ax squared + bx + c = 0

and i need help solving these:
square root 2/5 + square root 5/2
(3 radical 2) to the third power
(2i radical 6) to the second power

thank you.

lovezoey101 said:
Looked at your previous posts, and you keep repeating this...
You asking us to believe you have a teacher that doesn't teach? :shock:
What does he/she do: play video games?

lovezoey101 said:
my teacher always assigns some homework with material not taught ...

I applaud your teacher. This forces you to engage in symbolic reasoning and abstract thought. Educated people possess these abilities; this is one reason why schools need to force students to engage in them.

What do you need to add to the expression x squared + x in order to get a perfect square trinomial?

(By the way, did you notice on your previous posts that the responses show "x squared" as x^2? We prefer that you use the caret symbol.)

It seems to me that you did not finish your previous post (regarding the exercises which ask what needs to be added to form a perfect square trinomial).

PREVIOUS POST

Do you understand these exercises? If you do not, then you do not understand how to complete the square, and you will not be able to finish those exercises in this thread which require completing the square.

Did I previously request that you read the post titled, "Read Before Posting"?

When you fail to ask specific questions, then you put us in the position of having to guess at what kind of help that you need. I have no idea why you cannot complete these exercises. Do you have the ability to design specific questions, the answers to which will provide you with what you need to know in order to get started?

As for the remaining exercises in this thread, there are no unknown numbers for which to solve. I will guess that the instruction is not "solve", but "simplify".

Do you know anything at all about exponents? You did not ask any questions or show any work on these exercises, either.

I'm not going to spend a bunch of time trying to guess what you want. If you simply want someone to type out all of the solutions, then you will need to wait for Arthur and Eddie, et al.

Otherwise, GET STARTED.

Cheers,

Howard I. Noe :)

Denis said:
lovezoey101 said:
Looked at your previous posts, and you keep repeating this...
You asking us to believe you have a teacher that doesn't teach? :shock:
What does he/she do: play video games?
no he sits at the back of the room after he does a few examples which i usually understand...im able to do the classwork, but than the homework has problems he did not review.
im sorry i even came on this site for help.

lovezoey101 said:
... than [sic] the homework has problems [that the teacher did not explicity show me how to do] ...

Clearly, you still don't get it.

Teachers are not paid to lead you around by the hand EVERYWHERE that you need to go. You need to start thinking for yourself, or you will not go far in life.

'
lovezoey101 said:
... im sorry i even came on this site for help.

I have no interest whatsoever in hearing about your sorrows.

What do you need to add to the expression x^2 + x in order to get a perfect square trinomial?