Finding the P-Value: sample of 88 children selected randomly

Court5

In a sample of 88 children selected randomly from one town, it is found that 8 of them suffer from asthma. Find the P-value for a test of the claim that the proportion of all children in the town who suffer from asthma is equal to 11%.

I have a final over finding the P-value is I do not understand where to start!? :)

Re: Finding the P-Value

Please show us what you have done so far. That way, we'll be able to see where you're stuck and help you.

If you have no clue how to "start" this problem, a textbook is a good place to start. Try looking in the back, where there is usually an index of some sort. Based on the problem, I would suggest looking under "p value" or "null hypothesis for a proportion" or something like that.

There are also quite a few lessons on the internet:

If you are in high school, http://stattrek.com/Lesson5/Proportion.aspx?Tutorial=AP is a good place for this problem.

When you write back, please show us what work you have done. For example, I'm sure you have a clue how to compute the proportion for your sample. What is that? How would you use that value in the two-tailed test for the proportion p-value?

Alright i figured out how to do that problem but i am stuck on the next set:

A medical school claims that more than 28% of its students plan to go into general practice. It is found that among a random sample of 130 of the school's students, 39% of them plan to go into general practice. Find the P-value for a test of the school's claim.

So... I have
p0=.28 n=130 but then for ^p i don't understand how to find that....
then i know:
H0: p=.28
Ha:p>.28 therefore it is a right tail test

so i plug it into....
^p-p0/sqaure root of p0(1-p0)/n

I am stuck on what the ^p would be in the problem???

P-hat is like x-bar for probabilities. It is the p of your sample. P[sub:2thbj8d3]0[/sub:2thbj8d3] is what you expect.

Random said:
P-hat is like x-bar for probabilities. It is the p of your sample. P[sub:1u2dfjtp]0[/sub:1u2dfjtp] is what you expect.

Right, p-hat would be .39 in this case, the proportion from your sample. They took a survey, and they got that proportion. Everything else looks right. Are you getting the gist of this? If you want, post your solution, with the work (showing the significance level that you found in the table and whether you accept or reject the null hypothesis), and we can all have a look. The reason I say this is that everything looks right, but it's hard to tell, from the way you've written it, what's under the radical in the denominator and such. I mean, I know what's supposed to be under there, but if I actually see your finding of the square roots, I'll be able to tell for sure.

By the way, a better way to write the radical is ... sqrt ( stuff under the radical )