very confusing???????????

LEMARB

this is very confusing for me. the closest i can figure out is answer a but i could be wrong.

5m/6 + 2 = 8 - m/3

a) 36/7 b) 36/5 c) 60/7 d) 54/5

does anyone know where i could find help with math, maybe a cd or workbook that is really good. i have a upcoming class next year and i need as much practice as possible. the class is: Nuclear Mathematical Fundamentals — 3 Credits
This course will review basic math, including basic arithmetic functions, fractions, and decimals. The course will continue by covering scientific notation, dimensional analysis, algebra, basic geometry and trigonometry. Control charts and graphs, logarithms and exponential functions, and rate concepts will also be covered.

(a) is the correct answer.

You could have verified this for yourself by substituting 36/7 for m in the original equation to see if it leads to a true statement.

You can find lots of math help on the Internet. HERE'S ONE OF THOUSANDS.

LEMARB said:
5m/6 + 2 = 8 - m/3
Do you see what happens if you multiply EACH term by 6: 5m + 12 = 48 - 2m
Always start equations with fractions by getting rid of the fractions.

1/2 = 1/4 + 1/4 ; OK? Multiply by 4:
2 = 1 + 1
See what's going on?

5m/6 + 2 = 8 - m/3
Let me try a step method with lots of explanations:
first the least common multiple of 3 and 6 is 6 so multiply both sides by 6
6(5m/6 + 2) = 6(8 - m/3)
5m + 12 = 48 - 2m
Now get all the m's on the left by adding 2m to each side:
7m + 12 = 48
Now subtract 12 from each side:
7m = 36
m = 36/7 not a pretty answer.

LEMARB said:
Nuclear Mathematical Fundamentals — 3 Credits
This course will review basic math, including basic arithmetic functions, fractions, and decimals.

The course will continue by covering

scientific notation, dimensional analysis, algebra, basic geometry and trigonometry.

Control charts and graphs, logarithms and exponential functions, and rate concepts will also be covered.

All those will be covered in ONE semester?!!!

That is a very tall order.

These are generally covered in 4 years of high school mathematics. To cram all those in one semester - I wonder how much retention will be required!!