Let C be 'child' tickets bought by single customer...

MrConfused55

For an upcoming concert, each customer may purchase up to 3 child tickets and 3 adult tickets. let C be the number of child tickets purchased by a single customer. The probability distribution of the number of child tickets purchased by a single customer is given below.

Code:
+------+-----+-----+-----+-----+
| C    |  0  |  1  |  2  |  3  |
| P(c) | 0.4 | 0.3 | 0.2 | 0.1 |
+=-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
A) Compute the mean and standard deviation of c
I so far got an expected value of 1, and a standard deviation of 1.

b) suppose the mean and the standard deviation for the number of adult tickets purchased by a signle customer are 2 and 1.2, respectively. Assume that the number of child tickets and adult tickets purchased are independent random variables. Compute the mean and the standard deviation of the total number of adult and child tickets purchased by a single customer.

c) Suppose each child ticket costs $15 and each adult ticket costs $25. Compute the mean and the standard deviation of the total amount spent per purchase.

Stuck now :(

Use the relationships \(\displaystyle Mean(aX+bY) = a Mean(X)+b Mean(Y)\), and \(\displaystyle Variance(aX+bY)=a^2 Variance(X)+b^2 Variance(Y)\).

This is a AP-stat problem.

Do a google search and you'll find many sites with this problem worked out.

any ideas here guys? I looked online for sample problems but couldnt find em

I couldnt understand what royas was saying

You must get unconfused. You MUST be able to compute the Mean using the fundamental formula.

I'll get you started.

0*0.4 + 1*0.3 + 2*0.2 + 3*0.1 = The Mean.

This MUST look familiar.

You show me the variance.

I so far got an expected value of 1, and a standard deviation of 1.

look at my post above, i already did this. I got a mean and variance of 1 (and standard deviation of 1 also)

I wish you would show your work. I really do not know how to direct you without that sort fo information.