Methods of Sampling-Help would be aprreciated

peggyskold

O.k. I like the comment that Math does not have to be understood but more a matter of getting used to things--I feel much better. That being said, I still want to make sure that I am "getting used to these things". Now having a little bit of a better handle on the levels of management I am on to Methods of Sampling which has me really doubting myself here. Can anyone look these over?
A researcher selects and interviews 50 men and 50 women movie goers--I'm thinking stratified but not sure--I was thinking that the population would be all of the movie goers and the group of 50 men and the group of 50 women would be the two or more strata? Would this be correct do you think?

A sample of every 20th student from a group of 500 students--I'm thinking sytematic because it's every nth?? Would that be correct?

A researcher for a publisher selects 70 of the country's high schools and interviews all the teachers at each school--I am not sure on this one, but my initial answer was cluster because I was thinking that clusters consist of geographic groupings, and each cluster should consist of members with all of the charactersitics? would this be correct

To avoid working late, the quality control manager inspects the first 10 items produced that day--initially I had conveinence but now am second guessing that answer???

A lobyist for a major drug company assigns a number to each legislator in his state. then a computer is used to randomly generate ten numbers. the lobbyist contacts the legislator assigned those ten numbers--I was thinking this should be Random Sample? would that be right?

Peggy

I recommend understanding. You seem to be doing it just fine. Why do you doubt?

peggyskold said:
O.k. I like the comment that Math does not have to be understood but more a matter of getting used to things--I feel much better. That being said, I still want to make sure that I am "getting used to these things". Now having a little bit of a better handle on the levels of management I am on to Methods of Sampling which has me really doubting myself here. Can anyone look these over?
A researcher selects and interviews 50 men and 50 women movie goers--I'm thinking stratified but not sure--I was thinking that the population would be all of the movie goers and the group of 50 men and the group of 50 women would be the two or more strata? Would this be correct do you think?

A sample of every 20th student from a group of 500 students--I'm thinking systematic because it's every nth?? Would that be correct?

A researcher for a publisher selects 70 of the country's high schools and interviews all the teachers at each school--I am not sure on this one, but my initial answer was cluster because I was thinking that clusters consist of geographic groupings, and each cluster should consist of members with all of the charactersitics? would this be correct

To avoid working late, the quality control manager inspects the first 10 items produced that day--initially I had conveinence but now am second guessing that answer???

A lobyist for a major drug company assigns a number to each legislator in his state. then a computer is used to randomly generate ten numbers. the lobbyist contacts the legislator assigned those ten numbers--I was thinking this should be Random Sample? would that be right?

Peggy

These are really matter of definition - most of the times books in different languages (and time) will have slightly different definition. You should be able to figure these out from the definitions in your textbook.

I see no problem with your answers.