studies of student credit-card debt, state employee pay

MRS.FREE

I am lost in a way i have never been lost before. I have gone over the book time and time, googled stuff for help and am at a loss. Can someone please walk me through these two step by step please...

1: it has been reported that the average credit card debt for college seniors is $3262. The student senate at a large university feels like their senoirs have a debt much less than this, so it conducts a study of 50 randomly selected seniors and finds the average debt is $2995, and the population standard deviation is $1100. with probabulity of type 1 error (sorry cant do symbol) being 0.05, is the student senate correct?

2: The mean sallary of a federal employee on the general schedule is $59,593. The average sallary of 30 state employees who do similar work is 58,800 with a standard deviation of $1500. At the 0.01 level of significance, can it be cocnluded that state employees earn an average less than federal employees?

can someone please show me how these are done, step by step please :)

thak you for that, i have been there though and for some reasonthis is really giving me a hard time.
Does anyone have the time to help me with these step by step so i can reference back to these for future problems, please.
I am reading all this stuff and agian, for some reason there is a barrier and i can't put to together for the problems.

is this correct for #1) ?????????????// please, someone help me

2) h0=3262 h1<3262

.05 and is left tailed= -1.65

2995-3262/100/sqrt of 50=-1.72

*since the test value falls in the critical region=reject null hypothesis*

MRS.FREE said:
is this correct for #1) ?????????????// please, someone help me

2) h0=3262 h1<3262

.05 and is left tailed= -1.65

2995-3262/100/sqrt of 50=-1.72

*since the test value falls in the critical region=reject null hypothesis*

That all looks fine.... :)