lottery style question

brentwoodbc

I think I get it but I'm not sure Im doing this right.

on a lottery you can pick 3 of 10 numbers between 0-9 "randomly drawn" the 3 numbers can be the same.

A. what are the odds of getting the 3 numbers, and them being in the same order as drawn.

so I did 10x10x10 because it could be 1/10 3 times so =1000 (correct)

B. this is the one that's giving me trouble.
What are the odds of winning if they can be in any order?
answer is 167.

I know 1000/6 (6 could be 3!) is roughly 167 but I dont know know if thats the right way to do it, or why to do it that way....
I thought it would be 3/10 haha.

I also wanted to know how the two answer's would be changed if they couldnt be the same number. I assume that in part (A) it would be 0x9x8= 1/720 but for part be Im still confused.

thanks.

brentwoodbc said:
on a lottery you can pick 3 of 10 numbers between 0-9 "randomly drawn" the 3 numbers can be the same.
What are the odds of winning if they can be in any order?
answer is 167.
In this case, the selection [1,4,1] is the same as the selection [1,1,4].
There are \(\displaystyle \binom{3+10-1}{3}=220\) such possible selections.
Where did you get the other answer?

****straight from text

in a pick 3 lottery, participants pick 3 digits from 0-9 and choose straight or box play.. the lottery corporation randomly selects 3 digits from 0-9. the three digits can be the same. straight play wins if 3 digits picked match the 3 winning digits in the same order, box play wins if if your picks match the winning numbers in any order. According to the lottery corporation, the odds of winning are 1/100 for straight play, and 1/167 for box play. explain how they came to this conclusion.

brentwoodbc said:
in a pick 3 lottery, participants pick 3 digits from 0-9 and choose straight or box play.. the lottery corporation randomly selects 3 digits from 0-9. the three digits can be the same. straight play wins if 3 digits picked match the 3 winning digits in the same order, box play wins if if your picks match the winning numbers in any order. According to the lottery corporation, the odds of winning are 1/100 for straight play, and 1/167 for box play. explain how they came to this conclusion.
That 'lottery corporation' does not know much about mathematics.
Or maybe it is the author of the textbook.