Algebraic Equation

hjcruz

Hello,

I just need help to see if I am doing this problem right.

Here is the problem:

A school bus holds 57 students but is only 40% full. How many students are on the bus?

Explain why the answer of 22.8 students is unreasonable.

Ok here are my answers:

If I take 57 and multiply it by 40% I get 22.8 which is unreasonable because I can't have an eighth of a person. So I would say that the correct answer would be 23 students because I would have to round up.

If this is not right could someone guide me in the right direction.

Thanks you.

A school bus holds 57 students but is only 40% full. How many students are on the bus?

Okay , the easiet way to solve this is by : transforming the percantage into a number ... here: 40% will be 40/100

number of students that occupy 40 % of the bus is :

\(\displaystyle (57)\frac{40}{100}\)

\(\displaystyle = 22.8\)

Number of students that occupy 40% of the bus : 23 students.

People are counted in discrete terms. That is, answers should be given in terms of whole people, not in terms of fractions and decimals, since fractional people do not ride busses

hjcruz said:
Hello,

I just need help to see if I am doing this problem right.

Here is the problem:

Explain why the answer of 22.8 students is unreasonable.

Ok here are my answers:

If I take 57 and multiply it by 40% I get 22.8 which is unreasonable because I can't have an eighth of a person (0.8 is not related to eighth - in fraction it will be 8/10 or 4/5 - or four-fifth). So I would say that the correct answer would be 23 students because I would have to round up.

If this is not right could someone guide me in the right direction.

Thanks you.

You are correct - except as noted.