Don't know where to begin

hjcruz

Hello all here is my problem:

30% of the number m is 55.

I am not sure where to begin with this question do I take 30% from 100 and try and figure out which number it would be to equal 55? Or do I divide the 55 into the 30%? Please I don't want the answer I would like it if anyone knows the formula to use. I am at a loss.

thanks for you help. :shock:

30% of the number m is 55

Here is a case where you can translate from English to math very easily. "Of" means multiply. "Is" means equals. Write your equation remembering to change your percent to an equivalent decimal fraction. Then solve the equation.

hjcruz said:
Hello all here is my problem:

30% of the number m is 55.

I am not sure where to begin with this question do I take 30% from 100 and try and figure out which number it would be to equal 55? Or do I divide the 55 into the 30%? Please I don't want the answer I would like it if anyone knows the formula to use. I am at a loss.

thanks for you help. :shock:

To translate to algebraic equation:
Replace "number" with "n" (unknown variable)

Replace "of" with times (*)

and

Replace "is" with "equal to" (=)

then we have,

30% * n = 55

0.30 * n = 55

You need to solve for "n" - by isolating "n". Since it is "multiplied" by a number (0.30) - to isolate it, you have to divide by the same number - both sides of the "=" sign.

0.30 * n = 55

0.35 * n/0.30 = 55/0.30

n = 55/0.30

Now finish it.....

hey sab this is probably irrelevant but whyd you change m to n. they already specified that the unumber was called im just curious. lol

sportsstar469 said:
hey sab this is probably irrelevant but whyd you change m to n - typo - . they already specified that the unumber was called im just curious. lol