Logic question

kdrdudek

:? Here is the question.
A theater charges $6.25 for children under 12 and $9.25 for regularly priced tickets.

There were three hundred four seats sold on Tuesday. The number of children tickets sold on Tuesday was 234 fewer than the number of regular priced tickets.

On Sunday, 137 fewer tickets were sold than the number of tickets sold on Monday.

The number of seats sold on Monday was two hundred twenty less than two times the number of seats sold on Sunday.

On Wednesday, 353 more tickets were sold than the number of tickets sold on Tuesday. The difference in total gate receipts between the two days was $2,812.25. Total gate receipts were higher on Wednesday.

The total gate receipts on Monday was $4,080.50.

The total gate receipts on Sunday was $2,588.25.

How many children and regularly priced tickets were sold from Sunday until Wednesday?

This is what I have gotten so far.
Tuesday: 304 tickets with a total of $2602. 70 child @ total 437.50 and 234 reg @ total 2164.50.
Wed: 657 tickets with total of $5414.25.
Sun: ? tickets with total $2588.25
Mon: ? tickets with total $4080.50
I can't figure out how I could figure out child and regular tickets on Sun, Mon and Wed because I didn't think I got enough info. HELP!!!!

Can you give me the equation to figure this problem out.

kdrdudek said:
There were three hundred four seats sold on Tuesday. The number of children tickets sold on Tuesday was 234 fewer than the number of regular priced tickets.

Tuesday: 304 tickets with a total of $2602. 70 child @ total 437.50 and 234 reg @ total 2164.50.

Can you give me the equation to figure this problem out.
What makes you think there is "an equation" for this? :shock:

You're told that on Tuesday the children tickets = regular tickets - 234
How did you ever come up with 234 and 70?
269 + 35 = 304
269 - 35 = 234
So regulars = 269 and children = 35 ; means total sales of $2707.00

Now go back and try again.

I don't know. I guess I took 304-234 to get 70. Like the problem says. As far as it being solvable...That is why I came to here. I was trying to help my daughter do her homework. This is the homework she was given. I could not solve this one and could not see anyway to solve it. But I thought I would pass it to the experts. Soooo glad that I was not treated like an idiot or child. I would really be turned off from asking another question or was that your intention? Thanks for explaining it so thoroughly.

Hey Mom/Dad, what you just said was not in the original post.
This looked like a "do my homework" request by a student.
No experts here; most of us are volunteers who "try" to help.

The problem is relatively easy...but loads of typing would be required
to actually show how it's done; really, a classroom is required.

Take the Tuesday events: 304 tickets for $2707; some at 9.25, some at 6.25.
How many at each price? This would be the way to solve:
let x = number of tickets @ 9.25 ; then tickets @ 6.25 = 304 - x
So we have: 9.25x + 6.25(304 - x) = 2707
Solving for x gives x = 269; so 269 $9.25 tickets and 304-269 = 35 $6.25 tickets.

That's about the limit of what we can do here.
If the student does not know how to do the solving, we can't do the teaching here.

kdrdudek said:
I don't know.... I was trying to help my daughter do her homework. This is the homework she was given. I could not solve this one and could not see anyway to solve it.
Unfortunately, attempting to tutor through a "translator" who doesn't "speak the language" has never had a history of success. Sorry! :oops:

Please have your daughter study how to set up and solve this sort of exercise, and then attempt it herself. If she gets stuck, please have her reply (or dictate a reply) showing your work and reasoning so far, so that we can "see" where she's having trouble and provide useful assistance.

Thank you! :wink:

You guys are unbelievable. The insults just keep coming.
"Unfortunately, attempting to tutor through a "translator" who doesn't "speak the language" has never had a history of success. Sorry!"
Very nice...put me in my place.
First, I didn't think I had to let someone know I was a parent to ask a question. Second, I gave attitude afterward because it sounded like I got attitude when I asked the question. I was not looking for a handout but was posing a valid question I could not solve. Believe it or not, I was a passionate about science in college and graduated 1st in my field but that was over 30 years ago and if you don't use it, you lose it or at least it is a little rusty. I am trying to scrap off the rust. I am also in a rare class of parents who help guide their child towards a path of success.
One suggestion to all who help answer questions poised: Consider any post as a honest cry for help. You don't have to give the answer but try not to post negative responses or statements. You do more harm than good. Build up rather than tear down.
Math is a passion!! Nothing gets the heart beating faster than a challenging problem and being able to solve it! You are in the zone and the endorphins are flowing just as much as an athlete competing for the gold. I have been there...I understand the feeling and I get it. All science (math is a science) tutors, teachers, etc should display a passion when they are helping others understand. Passion for a subject creates and transfers to any in its path. Who you help today could actually help solve the complexities of cancer tomorrow. Without passion, life is dull and boring.
I'm through, I'm done, I will remove myself from this forum.