Calculating break-even number of days or months

rfbrenner

My daughter has two problems that ask her to find the number of days or months for two different series to equal. I don't remember how to figure it out algebraically - only manually. In one case we're told that Verizon gives 4 free months and then $25 per month thereafter while Sprint gives 3 free months and charges $20 thereafter. It wants to know how many months it will take before two subscribers - one on Verizon and one on Sprint would have paid exactly the same total. The answer is that they would both pay $100 at the end of the 8th month.

In the second problem we're told that Blockbuster charges $2.25 for the first day and $.15 per day thereafter. Hollywood charges $5 for the first two days and then $ .05 per day thereafter. It wants to know the same thing - after how many days would a renter under each system spend the same amount.

As I said, I used a spreadsheet to set up a table and calculate a running balance under each scenario. But since my daughter is in pre-algebra I assume there must be some algebraic expression that would calculate this easier than doing the brute force method.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thank you
rfbrenner

Hello, rfbrenner!

I hope your daughter has had some algebra . . .

Verizon gives 4 free months and then charges $25 per month thereafter
while Sprint gives 3 free months and charges $20 per month thereafter.
How many months will it take for the two services to have the same total cost?

Suppose you use Verizon for \(\displaystyle x\) months.
The first 4 months are free, so you are charged $25 per month for the other \(\displaystyle x-4\) months.
. . \(\displaystyle \text{Your total Verizon bill will be: }\:25(x-4)\text{ dollars.}\)

Suppose you use Sprint for \(\displaystyle x\) months.
The first 3 months are free, so you are charged $20 per month for the other \(\displaystyle x-3\) months.
. . \(\displaystyle \text{Your total Sprint bill will be: }\:20(x-3)\text{ dollars.}\)

The two bills are equal: .\(\displaystyle 25(x-4) \:=\:20(x-3)\)

Solve for \(\displaystyle x\) and get: .\(\displaystyle x \,=\,8\)

Blockbuster charges $2.25 for the first day and $0.15 per day thereafter.
Hollywood charges $5 for the first two days and then $ 0.05 per day thereafter.
After how many days would a renter under each system spend the same amount?

Suppose you rent a movie for \(\displaystyle x\) days.

Blockbuster charges $2.25 for the first day and $0.15 per day for the other \(\displaystyle x-1\) days.
. . \(\displaystyle \text{Your total Blockbuster bill will be: }\:2.25 + 0.15(x-1)\text{ dollars.}\)

Hollywood charges $5 for the first two days and $0.05 per day for the other \(\displaystyle x-2\) days.
. . \(\displaystyle \text{Your total Hollywood bill will be: }\:5.00 + 0.05(x-2)\text{ dollars.}\)

Got the idea?

She's in 7th grade - not quite sure how much Algebra she has had. This makes perfect sense to me. Now I just have to be able to explain it to her!

Thank you soooo much. Terrific!

Rick