Texas hold'em poker pot odds

funkmasterchilly

Pot odds has been explained to me a few deferent times but for some reason I just can't get my head around the concept and was wondering if somebody could pleas explain it to me in the simplest manner possible so that anybody could understand it. I will give an example of what I mean.

note: in this example (s) = spades (h) = hearts (c) = clubs (d) = diamonds

so lets say there are 10 players at a poker table and etch player is dealt 2 cards face down. At this point and time the only cards you know are your own witch are A(s)-4(s). You are sitting on the dealer button and the blinds are $50 - $100. everybody folds to you, so you raise to $300 and the 2 blinds call putting the pot at exactly $900. The flop comes down Q(s)-9(h)-2(d) when both blinds check, you bet $500, both blinds call again now making the pot $2,400. Next the K(s) hits on the turn giving you 4 spades to a flush. Now the small blind bets $1,000 and the big blind raises all-in with $1,400. Here in lies the problem, the pot at present has $4,900 and you need to pay $1,400 to see the next card. you have $7,000 left in chips. you know there are 52 cards in the deck and out of that 52 13 of them are spades and you know where 4 of them are leaving 9 possible spades left to come out to make your flush.

I know that $4,900 to $1,400 is about 3.5 to 1 odds on your money because the book that I am reading told me so but I have no ides how to do the work or how they came to that conclusion and also is 3.5:1 odds a good call to make knowing that there are only 9 cards left in the deck that can help you and only one card left to come out?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

Is this a math class assignment....or are you in Vegas waiting for an answer...? :shock:

you've got the right idea. you are missing the math a bit though I'll show you a quick way...

first of all 3.5 to 1 comes from 4900/1400 or just drop the zeroes and say 49/14, or 49 to 14, or reduce it down. 49 and 14 are both divisible by 7. 7 to 2, which is 7/2 = 3.5 to 1. follow this?

so, the cards now...

you are correct that there are 9 spades remaining, out of 46 cards though. 4 on the table, 2 in your hand that you know the value of. So, your odds of drawing a spade are 9/46, or 9 to 46 = 0.20, or 20/100 = 1/5 = 1 to 5. (roughly)

Now you have to ask yourself. Are those good pot odds? You have a 20% chance to more than triple you money. You might be able to do better.