help with statistics problems, due may 13th!

hockeyplayer42

Ive finished 13/20 questions. If you can help me out at all please do!

1(a)Let Y have a binomial distribution with parameters n and p. We reject Ho: p=1/2 and accept H1: p>1/2 if Y>=c. Find n and c such that the probability of a Type I error is .10, and P(reject Ho/p=2/3)=.95.
(b)What is the probability of a Type II error?

2.Let xbar be the observed mean of a random sample of size n from a distribution having mean mu and variance sigma squared. Find n so that xbar-sigma/4 to xbar+sigma/4 is an approximate 95% confidence interval for mu.

3. Let p denote the probability that, for a particular tennis player, the first serve is good. Since p=0.40 this player decided to take lessons in order to increase p. When the lessons are completed, the hypothesis Ho:p=0.40 will be tested against H1:p>0.40 based on n=25 trials. Let y equal the number of first serves that are good, and let the critical region be defined by C={y:y>=13}. Determine the significance level.

4. Let X be N(mu,sigma squared)so that P(X<89)=0.90 and P(X<94)=0.95. Find mu and sigma squared.

5. Let X1,...,X9 be a random sample of size 9 from a distribution that is N(mu,sigma squared). If sigma is known, find the length of a 95% confidence interval for mu if this interval is based on the random variable Squarert9(xbar-mu)/sigma.

6. Half pint (8oz) milk cartons are filled at a dairy by a filling machine. To provide a check on the machine, a sample of 10 cartons is periodically measured. If the sample mean deviates by more than a certain amount d from the nominal value 8oz, i.e, if [xbar-8]>d, then the machine setting is adjusted. The chance of a false alarm indicating an unnecessary adjustment is to be limited to 1%. Find a formula for d.

7. The lifetime of lightbulbs of a particular type are normally distributed with a mean of 293 hours and a standard deviation of 6 hours. Find the 1st quartile.

hockeyplayer42 said:
Ive finished 13/20 questions. If you can help me out at all please do!

1(a)Let Y have a binomial distribution with parameters n and p. We reject Ho: p=1/2 and accept H1: p>1/2 if Y>=c. Find n and c such that the probability of a Type I error is .10, and P(reject Ho/p=2/3)=.95.
(b)What is the probability of a Type II error?

2.Let xbar be the observed mean of a random sample of size n from a distribution having mean mu and variance sigma squared. Find n so that xbar-sigma/4 to xbar+sigma/4 is an approximate 95% confidence interval for mu.

3. Let p denote the probability that, for a particular tennis player, the first serve is good. Since p=0.40 this player decided to take lessons in order to increase p. When the lessons are completed, the hypothesis Ho:p=0.40 will be tested against H1:p>0.40 based on n=25 trials. Let y equal the number of first serves that are good, and let the critical region be defined by C={y:y>=13}. Determine the significance level.

4. Let X be N(mu,sigma squared)so that P(X<89)=0.90 and P(X<94)=0.95. Find mu and sigma squared.

5. Let X1,...,X9 be a random sample of size 9 from a distribution that is N(mu,sigma squared). If sigma is known, find the length of a 95% confidence interval for mu if this interval is based on the random variable Squarert9(xbar-mu)/sigma.

6. Half pint (8oz) milk cartons are filled at a dairy by a filling machine. To provide a check on the machine, a sample of 10 cartons is periodically measured. If the sample mean deviates by more than a certain amount d from the nominal value 8oz, i.e, if [xbar-8]>d, then the machine setting is adjusted. The chance of a false alarm indicating an unnecessary adjustment is to be limited to 1%. Find a formula for d.

7. The lifetime of lightbulbs of a particular type are normally distributed with a mean of 293 hours and a standard deviation of 6 hours. Find the 1st quartile.

DUPLICATE POST:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 106AAwjQh2

http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-help/ ... -13th.html

Please share your work with us, indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

I suspect these are take-home test problems - or problems for credit (as evidenced by your posting on all the help sites).

I'll show the solution techniques - if needed - after May 14.

giving me some help on how o solve a problem would be great though. My professor gave us these problems, because they will be similar to what we have on the exam on the 14th. so i need to know how i solve them. I dont need an answer for the problems, i can do the work. I just really need help

hockeyplayer42 said:
My professor gave us these problems, .... so i need to know how i solve them.
Your teacher only gives out problems: does not teach how to solve? :shock:
He should be fired!

i am trying really hard to solve these problems. I am not looking for someone to solve the problems for me. My professor refuses to help me out, so i came here to look for help. If someone is nice enough to walk me through some of these equations i would really appreciate it.

Because he doesnt want to i suppose. He is not looking for a right answer, rather having us understand what formulas to use when. To see if we understand what we've been taught. He knows he never gave us questions like this before, but somehow he expects us to understand them. Can anyone help me?