Should be easy problem

ryan124

How many different combinations of 3 letters which can be A, B, or C are there, if the ordering doesn't matter? The total number if the order does matter is 27=3*3*3. The number of groups where the order doesn't matter is 10. I wrote them out just to make sure: AAA, AAB, AAC, ....etc. I eliminated the repeated groups such as with ABB, BAB, BBA, etc. What is the formula to arrive at 10? I can't figure it out.

Hello, ryan124!

How many different combinations of 3 letters which can be A, B, or C are there,
if the ordering does not matter?

The total number if the order does matter is: .\(\displaystyle 3\cdot3\cdot3 \:=\:27\)
The number of groups where the order does not matter is 10.

I wrote them out just to make sure: AAA, AAB, AAC, ....etc.
I eliminated the repeated groups such as with ABB, BAB, BBA, etc.

What is the formula to arrive at 10?

I have a very primitive approach.

There are three types of combinations:

. . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{ccc}(1) & XXX & \text{Triple} \\ (2) & XXY & \text{Pair} \\ (3) & XYZ & \text{One-of-each} \end{array}\)

\(\displaystyle (1)\;XXX\)

\(\displaystyle \text{We must choose a letter for the }X.\)

\(\displaystyle \text{There are: }3\text{ Triples.}\)

\(\displaystyle (2)\;XXY\)

\(\displaystyle \text{There are 3 choices for the }X\text{ and 2 choices for the }Y.\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Hence, there are: }3\cdot2\:=\:6\text{ Pairs.}\)

\(\displaystyle (3)\;XYZ\)

\(\displaystyle \text{We must choose one of each letter.}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{There is: }\;1\text{ One-of-each.}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Therefore, there are: }\:3 + 6 + 1 \:=\:10 \text{ combinations.}\)

Thanks, this seems to work. I tried permutation, combination but I couldn't arrive at 10. I couldn't find a similar example. Using factorials I don't know how I would get 10. I wonder if your explanation is the only way to solve this.

FORMULA: (2 * n)! / (2 * n! * n!)

In your case, n = 3:

(2 * 3)! / (2 * 3! * 3!)
= 6! / (2 * 6 * 6)
= 720 / 72
= 10

I took a probability class but I guess my math level isn't high enough. According to the site the formula would be C(2n+1, n+1) which gives 10 if n=2, so it's C(5,3) for n+1=3 indistinguishable balls in n+1=3 distinguishable boxes.