Intro to Stat. -- Student Error or Instructor Oversight?

Anderson01Dogs

My classmates and I are hoping to back a claim against our instructor. We believe her organization and/or omission of certain words led us to answer incorrectly. Can any of your experts tell us if we have a case?

The assignment features various data gathering scenarios where we are to identify the Population, Sample, Sample Size and Variable.

The following excerpts, with "incorrect" responses, are taken directly from the assignment. (Some information changed for privacy)

Question 1:
"A study shows the mean amount of financial aid received by all college students who apply for financial aid in California is $500 a semester. For a class project you want to see if School X students receive less financial aid on average. You take a sample of 30 students students from School X who applied for financial aid and calculate the mean to be $450."

My "incorrect" answers:
Population: All college students who apply for financial aid in California
Sample: Students from "School X"

Question 2:
"Most college instructors will tell students to study two hours outside of class for every hour in class. You expect that the average number of hours Honor Students study per hour of class is actually more then the suggested two hours. As part of a project on the study habits of Honor Students, you ask 50 students how many hours they spent studying (on average) for every hour in class. The mean of this group of 50 students is 2.5 hours."

My "incorrect" answers:
Sample: STUDENTS (not Honor students-- if it isn't written then should I assume? My instructor suggests that "honor" is implied)

Thanks in Advance,

C.A.

Roughly 1/2 of the class got these answers wrong... Who's right?

Anderson01Dogs said:
We believe her organization and/or omission of certain words led us to answer incorrectly.

Then you must know something about this exercise.

Where is your work?

Please read the post titled, "Read before posting".

Cheers!