Age Problem,Proportion Problem, and

summer25

Age Problem
Two years ago, Tom was three times as old as his brother. How old is Tom now?

Proportion Problem

7 people wait at a bus stop. How many days can be arranged with order?without order

What have you done, so far?

I mean, I do not know where are you stuck, on these two exercises.

Are there some words that you do not understand?

How may I help you?

I'm not sure that I understand the proportion exercise. Do you know what the relation is between people at a bus stop and days?

Hello, summer25!

Two years ago, Tom was three times as old as his brother.
How old is Tom now?

Obviously, the problem is incomplete.

As stated, there is an infinite number of solutions:

. . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{|c||c|c|c|c|c|c|c} \hline \text{Tom} & 5& 8 & 11 & 14 & 17 & 20 & \hdots \\ \hline \text{brother} & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 7 & 8 & \hdots \\ \hline\end{array}\)

Two years ago, John was 3 times older as his brother who is x. How old is John now?

Re:

mmm4444bot said:

What have you done, so far?

I mean, I do not know where are you stuck, on these two exercises.

Are there some words that you do not understand?

How may I help you?

I'm not sure that I understand the proportion exercise. Do you know what the relation is between people at a bus stop and days?
No, I know its 365 days out the year. However, I cant determine various ways these people can be arranged. Is it a combination or permutation problem?

summer25 said:
Two years ago, John was 3 times older as his brother who is x. How old is John now?

Well, we're getting closer.

You did not define the symbol x. I'll make a guess:

Two years ago, John was 3 times older as his brother; his brother is x years old now. How old is John now?

x = the brother's current age

The brother's age two years ago is two years younger (i.e., less) than it is now. So, we can express the age two years ago, using the symbol x:

x - 2 = brother's age two years ago.

What does the exercise say about the brother's age two years ago ? Write an expression for that, and it will represent John's age two years ago.

Since that result represent's John's age two years ago, you know what to do, in order to get an expression for John's age today, yes?

summer25 said:
I cant determine various ways these people can be arranged. Is it a combination or permutation problem?

You have not posted enough information, for the proportion exercise. That which you posted does not comprise a complete exercise.

There are many different exercises that involve people waiting for a bus and days. Which one is yours?