Math models

PBuford

I am having troble figuing out how to solve my math model. Here is the question:

Create a math model for determining the total costs involved in driving from Kentucy to Chicago. Be sure to think critically about all possible costs included in the trip and include them in ypur model. Assume that you have $3000 avaliable before the trip, so solve your model to show the funds remaining after the trip.

You must START. What have you so far? Fuel? Food? Tolls? What else?

I hope that you already have some sense of what the instructor wants.

I mean, is your class currently studying mathematical models ? Use what you've already seen, as a guide.

I hope that (other than the given budget) every category of expenses is symbolic.

So, they want you to think hard about every possible out-of-pocket expense that might arise, from driving such a long distance.

Here are some things to consider.

Will you need to sleep along the way ? Where are you going to sleep ?

Will you need to eat along the way ? What are you going to eat ?

Are you driving a rental ?

Are you responsible for maintaining the vehicle that you drive ?

What happens if you get a flat, and then you get another flat ?

What happens, if you fall asleep at the wheel and end up in a ditch ?

What happens, if the highway patrol tells you something like, "Either you give me $50 to pay the fine right now or you come back here in six months for a court appearance".

What route are you taking ? Are there any toll highways or bridges ?

Since it's probably not humanly possible for a single person to come up with every possible out-of-pocket expense that might arise, I suggest that one of your expense categories be "miscellaneous", and explicitly define it to include every expense that is not represented elsewhere.

Define all of your symbols.

The model for the amount of money left over might look something like this:

3000 - A - B - C - M - R - P - S - T - X - Y - Z

Good luck. 8-)