The yellow brick road

needtoknowmath

In order to advertise their class production of part of "The Wizard of Oz", Mr. Ryan's class decided to put down a small"yellow brick road" around part of their school. The road would be made of sheets with ordinary yellow paper(18 inches by 24 inches) after a little experimenting, the students also found they needed to put tape around the outside of all the sheets of paper, either to join sheets together or to stick the paper to the concrete. How much tape did they need for a 100-foot-long "road"?

needtoknowmath said:
In order to advertise their class production of part of "The Wizard of Oz", Mr. Ryan's class decided to put down a small"yellow brick road" around part of their school. The road would be made of sheets with ordinary yellow paper(18 inches by 24 inches) after a little experimenting, the students also found they needed to put tape around the outside of all the sheets of paper, either to join sheets together or to stick the paper to the concrete. How much tape did they need for a 100-foot-long "road"?

Define the "find" - how much tape...

Let

L = length of tape needed

Please show us your work, indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

Since the paper road goes "around" part of the school, it must curve or make at least one "turn", somewhere. How is this accomplished, exactly?

The amount of tape needed is a function of the number of sheets, since each sheet requires 84 inches of tape.

A narrow paper road uses less sheets than a wide paper road.

I do not understand this problem statement.

The sheets of paper is laid down in two rows of rectangular squares 18 inches by 24 inches shown in the diagram. i do not know how to draw this diagram on this post.

needtoknowmath said:
i do not know how to draw this diagram on this post.

If you're on a machine running Windows, use [Alt]+[PrtSc] to send a screenshot to the clipboard.

Paste this image into MSPaint, and cut out the relevant part.

Save this cut image as a JPG file.

Use the "Upload attachment" tab here, while composing your post, to include images.