3 point equation

christin1

okay my problem is: write the equation of the line passing through (2,-7), (2,0), and (2,5). I have not went over 3 point equations in class, I do however know how to do 2 point equations and can find the slopes. So I guess I just need an example to go on to figure out how to do this. Thank you so very much for your time.

No, you do not need additional instruction. You must apply what you know already. This is not a computational problem. This is a paying attention problem.

The very first thing you should know is that TWO points determine a line in a plane. You absolutely should NOT believe that somehow for this line, THREE are required. If this were a computational problem, you would use two of the points to find the equation of the line passing through both of them and then you could only hope that we hit the third one. If we miss the third, too bad. There is nothing that can be done about it.

The next thing you should SEE is that the x coordinate of ALL of them is 2. Write down the answer. x = 2 Done.