Help needed understanding the meaning of a homework question

alexis2

I am having difficulty with a homework question relating to a dataset with 92 cases. I have not been able to paste the table here but have included the variables (see below):

Pulse Before Pulse After Ran? Smokes? Gender Height Weight Activity Level

This data came from an in-class activity in a college introductory statistics class. Some general data was collected for each student, and then each student was asked to flip a coin. Those whose coin came up heads were asked to run in place for a minute or so. All students measured their own pulse rate both before and after the running activity took place. Note that the two measurements were made on those who ran and on those who did not.

In addition to the pulse rate before and after the running took place, the data recorded whether each student ran or not, whether they smoked, their sex, height (in inches), weight (in pounds) and activity level. This last is coded

1. low
2. moderate
3. high

The question I am having difficulty understanding is:

Make a single display of all the weights. Choose a display that shows the shape of this distribution. Try more than one scale. Then comment on the shape you see and anything else you find. (You do not need to submit the actual graph.)

If anyone could explain what is required here in simple language, this would be most appreciated. I am having difficulty understanding:

(1) what is supposed to be included in the graph (e.g. which variables)

(2) what kind of graph is necessary.

(3) what is meant by weights?

Bear in mind that the graph would be based on 92 cases.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help needed understanding the meaning of a homework ques

alexis2 said:
I am having difficulty with a homework question relating to a dataset with 92 cases. I have not been able to paste the table here but have included the variables (see below):

This data came from an in-class activity in a college introductory statistics class. Some general data was collected for each student, and then each student was asked to flip a coin. Those whose coin came up heads were asked to run in place for a minute or so. All students measured their own pulse rate both before and after the running activity took place. Note that the two measurements were made on those who ran and on those who did not.

In addition to the pulse rate before and after the running took place, the data recorded whether each student ran or not, whether they smoked, their sex, height (in inches), weight (in pounds) and activity level. This last is coded

1. low
2. moderate
3. high

Make a single display of all the weights. Choose a display that shows the shape of this distribution. Try more than one scale. Then comment on the shape you see and anything else you find. (You do not need to submit the actual graph.)

If anyone could explain what is required here in simple language, this would be most appreciated. I am having difficulty understanding:

Thanks in advance.

If I were to make these graphs, I would first sort the weight data - then divide the data into 7 - 10 groups.

The plot a frequency graph with weight (group) on x-axis and freqiency on the y-axis.

Subhotosh Khan said:
alexis2 said:

1. low
2. moderate
3. high

Thanks in advance.

If I were to make these graphs, I would first sort the weight data - then divide the data into 7 - 10 groups.

The plot a frequency graph with weight (group) on x-axis and freqiency on the y-axis.

Thanks - this is helpful...why would you divide the data into 7-10 groups?

These things were not discussed in the class??

Subhotosh Khan said:
These things were not discussed in the class??

I am doing an online course so there is no "class" as such. With regard to my last question, I did some further reading on the internet and now understand what you meant.