Normal Distribution? HMWK help Please!

asanz89

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone could verify my answer and that I am using the right concept please and thank you!

The diameters of douglas furs are normally distributed with mean of 4 inches and standard deviation of 1.5 inches.

I've been asked to take into consideration that the tree stand will expand up to a diamter of 6 inches. If a randomly selected tree is chosen, what is the probability that the tree will not fit in your christmas tree stand?

at first I thought I could do 1-P(4<x<6), in which I got an answer of 0.5918. Now I'm also thinking it could be done by P(x>6)?

Cheers,
Anthony

asanz89 said:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone could verify my answer and that I am using the right concept please and thank you!

The diameters of douglas furs are normally distributed with mean of 4 inches and standard deviation of 1.5 inches.

I've been asked to take into consideration that the tree stand will expand up to a diamter of 6 inches. If a randomly selected tree is chosen, what is the probability that the tree will not fit in your christmas tree stand?

at first I thought I could do 1-P(4<x<6), in which I got an answer of 0.5918. Now I'm also thinking it could be done by P(x>6)?

Cheers,
Anthony

That is what I would consider for this problem. However, remember for this problem P(x<0) = 0 - so it is a skewed distribution.