patterns in a grid

DottieF

Can anybody figure out the pattern for the grid and fill in the missing #?

2 3 7 3
4 2 6 5
7 6 5 2
6 2 ? 7

So far, I have reasonable justification for 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.

There isn't "the" pattern. Perhaps a bit more direction?

help! this is a question on my graded hw! it is a 4x4 grid and the teacher wants the rule for the pattern and the number that belongs there. I have tried everything! I think we can assume it is a # between 0 and 9, but why????? :(

Like I said, I can justify any single digit and any number of anything else. More direction is required.

Really, just pick one. I'll try '6'. Yup, there's a pattern. Add up the four rows. Add up the four columns. Subtract the total or row 1 from the total of column 1. Do the same for the totals of the other three row-column sets. Do you see it?

-2 is almost as fun.

Actually, my favorite answer is 129/16. If that's a matrix, it makes for a very interesting determinant.

How about 42 - the universal answer to every question....

I guess if you put in a 6, than all of the columns and rows equal 73. That is the only answer I think that makes any sense. Thanks for your help guys, I will let you know if it is right when I hand in my hw next week.

I dare you to tell me why that makes ANY more sense than a 5 that makes the total sum 72. On the other hand, I have to agree that your explanation makes about as much snese as anything else.

-10 makes the upper-right progressive square sums linear.

3+(7+6+5) = 21
21+(3+2+6+5+2) = 39
39 + (2+4+7+6+2-10+7) = 57

That's pretty impressive.

3 makes the lower-right progressive squares sums quadratic.
5 makes the lower-left progressive squares sums quadratic.