please help ASAP

_Matthew13

a rectangle has side lengths 4 cm and 8 cm. each of the side lengths is to be increased by the same amount so that the rectangle has an area of 50 cm^2. determine the lengths of the sides of the new rectangle round your answers to the nearest 10th of a cm.

this question doesnt even make sense to me, please help. cm^2 is cm squared BTW.

THANK YOU ! 8-)

_Matthew13 said:
a rectangle has side lengths 4 cm and 8 cm. each of the side lengths is to be increased by the same amount so that the rectangle has an area of 50 cm^2. determine the lengths of the sides of the new rectangle round your answers to the nearest 10th of a cm.

this question doesnt even make sense to me, please help. cm^2 is cm squared BTW.

THANK YOU ! 8-)

Let's assume that the side-lengths are increased by an amount "x"

What are the new side lengths ? ? (4+x) and (8+x)

Now continue....

_Matthew13 said:
could it be 5.3 and 9.3 ? :eek: :)

It could very well be.

Did you check your answer - does it give area ~50 cm[sup:wkfaoqxf]2[/sup:wkfaoqxf]?

_Matthew13 said:
a rectangle has side lengths 4 cm and 8 cm. each of the side lengths is to
be increased by the same amount so that the rectangle has an area of 50 cm^2. determine the l
engths of the sides of the new rectangle round your answers to the nearest 10th of a cm.

I don't like the wording of this problem.

After working on this problem, I would have it be the equivalent of (but written in a shorter form)
of the following:

A rectangle has side lengths of 4 centimeters and 8 centimeters.
Each side length is to be increased by the same number of centimeters, where the amount of
increase is the same number of centimeters to the nearest tenth of a centimeter. Determine
the side lengths of the new rectangle so that its area is closest to 50 square centimeters.

***Despite the correctness, or lack of correctness, of user _Matthew13's answer, that user
*still* did not show any work from the initial post. The question of the answer's correctness
asked by that user may have been from guessing with the use of a calculator or some other
unstated way.

_Matthew13 said:
Matthew, can you do this similar one:

A rectangle has side lengths 4 units and 8 units.
Each of the side lengths is increased by x units, such that the rectangle has an area of 77 square units.
Find x.