Returning to school at 59. Pls help with this math problem.

raye47

This is from a sample assessment test. I need to know how to work it before I begin the real test:

Three individuals form a partnership and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests $9,000, Y invests $7,000, Z invests $4,000. If the profits are $4,800, how much less does x receive compared to having the profits divided in proportion to the amounts invested by X, Y, and Z?

I don't just need the answer. I need to know how to work the problem in order to arrive at an answer. Am I looking for a dollar figure or a percentage or something else?

I must complete the real assessment test before 5pm EST TODAY (Jan 24)!

Thank you so much for your help.

Raye :?:

Re: Returning to school at 59. Pls help with this math prob

raye47 said:
If the profits are $4,800 \(\displaystyle in \ total\), how much less does x receive compared to having the
profits divided in proportion to the amounts invested by X, Y, and Z?
[/b]

Is this what you're meaning?

Hi, and thanks for replying.

I did a copy/paste, so the problem I listed is exactly what I was given, as follows: "If the profits are $4,800, how much less does x receive compared to having the profits divided in proportion to the amounts invested by X, Y, and Z?"

I can only guess they mean $4,800 profits in total to be shared among X, Y and Z.

Assuming that is true, can you still show me how to get the answer? I just need to know HOW to solve it. Even if I were given the answer, I don't think I'd know how it was arrived at.

Thanks, again.
Raye :)

raye47 said:
This is from a sample assessment test. I need to know how to work it before I begin the real test:

Three individuals form a partnership and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests $9,000, Y invests $7,000, Z invests $4,000. If the profits are $4,800, how much less does x receive compared to having the profits divided in proportion to the amounts invested by X, Y, and Z?

I don't just need the answer. I need to know how to work the problem in order to arrive at an answer. Am I looking for a dollar figure or a percentage or something else?

I must complete the real assessment test before 5pm EST TODAY (Jan 24)!

Thank you so much for your help.

Hi raye47,

If they divided the profits equally, then each would receive $ 4800 / 3 or $1600.

Proportionally, it would go this way.

X invests $ 9000
Y invests $ 7000
Z invests $ 4000

Total investments = $ 20000

If profits are distributed proportionally to the amounts invested, then

X's part of the profits would be 9/20 of $ 4800 or $ 2160.
Y's part of the profits would be 7/20 of $ 4800 or $ 1680.
Z's part of the profits would be 4/20 of $ 4800 or $ 960.

By dividing the profits equally, X would receive $ 2160 - 1600 or $ 560 less than if it were distributed proportionally.

I am grateful for the replies I received. They both provided the answer I needed, and I am now satisfied with the results and don't require any further input.

Again, thank you very much!

Raye