math word problems (lineear equations)

disturbed

At a recent birthday party for a friend of mine, I pointed out the following to my friend: Sixty-one years after you
were one-third as old as you were one year before you were half as old as you were eight years ago, you were four times as old as you were eight years after you were one-fourth as old as you were eight years after you were one-fourth as old as you were four years ago. what was my friends age? i have spent about 4 days trying to figure out how to solve this for a game.. any help would be greatly appreciated

disturbed said:
At a recent birthday party for a friend of mine, I pointed out the following to my friend: Sixty-one years after you
were one-third as old as you were one year before you were half as old as you were eight years ago, you were four times as old as you were eight years after you were one-fourth as old as you were eight years after you were one-fourth as old as you were four years ago. what was my friends age?

i have spent about 4 days trying to figure out how to solve this for a game.. any help would be greatly appreciated

If you share your work with us - we would know where to begin to help you. So I'll start in the begining....

Start naming variables (what is being asked for).

what was my friends age

Let your friends current age = C

Eight years ago his age was = C-8

half as old as you were eight years ago = 1/2(C-8)

one year before you were half as old as you were eight years ago = 1/2(C-8) - 1

and continue......