Word problem need help

djm1951

The yearly production of a 4 ft orange tree is 38 lbs of oranges. A 13 ft tree produces 95 lbs. Let h represent the hights of a tree and p the number of lbs of oranges produced. Ordered pairs are (4,38) 1st tree and (13,95) for 2nd tree. Find the point-slope form of an equation of the line through the 2 ordered pairs. a.) p=19/3h+38/3 b.) p-4=3/19(h-38) c.)p-38=19/3(h-4) d.) p-38=-19/3(h-4). Use the equation from part b (the equations) to predict the number of lbs of oranges produced by an 18 ft tree and a 20 ft tree. What is the predicted production of an 18 ft tree?____ A 20 ft tree?____. Then use the equation to predict the height of a tree which produces 88 lbs of oranges. Thank you.

We would be most please to thank you for showing your work.

You have two points. use your two-point form and write down the equation.

\(\displaystyle m = \frac{y_{2}-y_{1}}{x_{2}-x_{1}}\)

\(\displaystyle y - y_{1} = m\cdot (x-x_{1})\)

You can be expected to know this on an exam.

I don't have any work yet. I figured out the ordered pair. I am guessing at the equations so I guessed it was c. I am new at this as I have never had algebra before. That is why I am looking for help for someone to show me how to work it.

Oh, dear. Why are you in this class? Are you SURE you are ready for it? Try to figure out how to use that two-point form.

because they say I have to take it. It has been 40 years since I have been in school and we never had anything above basic math when I was going to school. This is why I am having such a hard time plus the class is self paced and the teacher sits on his butt unless you ask him questions. This is why I go to places like this so if all don't want to teach me how to do the problems then jsut say so and I will not come back. This pace was suggested to me but from what I see no one wants to help you out.

Try to relax. It's just a question, not a personal challenge.

We like to be as helpful as we can, but there are some things we cannot do. Sometimes, a face-to-face interaction is most useful.

You need to find yourself an algebra book - fast. Find the sections on linear equations and learn the various forms. You MUST do it.

You can look up the basics on the internet, too. Look for these:

Point-Slope
Slope-Intercept
Two-Point

PurpleMath has lots of good lessons. Here's a place to start: http://www.purplemath.com/modules/graphlin.htm

i have used a math book that is supplied from the school. Why do think I am here? Cause it was useless for someone like me. Some of them I can do but ones like this I don't have a clue. But I will just go away and get help else where.

We can help you through specific problems.

We have only volunteers, here, who wander by when they have the time. It really isn't possible to teach full and useful lessons. If this format doesn't fit your current needs, we are sorry, but until we start paying people, that's what we have. When you are ready, we'll be glad to discuss those specific problems with you.

When you come back, and one of our volunteers asks you a question, just answer the question. We are not ever trying to insult you or to be obtuse. It may sound like a silly question, whatever it might be, but just answer it honestly. We will be able to help on this basis.