Separated Variables

2unique

How do you do Separated variables? Ex: 5m=18+2m
I know that you are supposed to get them on one side of the equation, but I am stumped when they are not next to each other as in this problem. 12-5x=7x ( this one I can do).
Thanks

Standard dogma: As long as you do exacly the same thing to both sides of the equation, you're good.

Here's is the one you can do.

12 - 5x = 7x

ADD 5x to both sides:

12 - 5x + 5x = 7x + 5x

12 = 12x

Here's the one you submitted:

5m = 18 + 2m

SUBTRACT 2m from both sides

5m - 2m = 18 + 2m - 2m

3m = 18

Why is that different?

Really, if these are significantly different to you, I blame your teacher or your text book. It is EXACTLY the same thing. Put them together in your mind.

Note: The "Standard Dogma" isn't really a good idea, but it will do for now. In your studies, you will see how this idea is formalized.

2unique said:
How do you do Separated variables? Ex: 5m=18+2m
I know that you are supposed to get them on one side of the equation, but I am stumped when they are not next to each other as in this problem. 12-5x=7x ( this one I can do).
Thanks

The thrust of this site seems to be Socratic in nature, which means that most questions are answered by questions so that you learn the answer on your own. So, in that spirit, try answering these simpler questions. :)

Is it true or false that (7 + 4) = (4 + 7)?

If addition of numbers is commutative, meaning that (7 + 4) = (4 + 7), then is it true that (18 + 2m) = (2m + 18)?

If it is true that (18 + 2m,) = (2m + 18), does it make any difference whether the equation is written as 5m = (18 + 2m) or 5m = (2m + 18)?

Ok, but it says the answer to the problem I gave you is x=1

( I am studying for the ged test) and they give you online worksheets and instructions how to do the problems and an example problem.
Here is the example of how they are saying to do this.Let’s try the example from above: 6y = 2y +12
Step 1: Get the variable to ONE side of the equation.

You can do that in the same way that you did above: do the inverse operation on BOTH sides of the equation
6y = 2y +12
-2y -2y____
4y = 12

Step 2: Now solve the equation like you did above
4y = 12
4 4_
y = 3
Still very confused. Sorry....

You must learn to manipulate the sumbols.

2x + 4x = 6x -- It's like counting things.

2 dogs + 4 dogs = 6 dogs.

Don't get TOO hung up on that, since 'x' is a little more abstract than "dog".

"use the inverse operation" is a bit tricky. Don't rely on it.

1) What do you wish to accomplish? Generally, it is get all the variables on one side and all the constants on the other.
2) How do you do that? Generally, collect all the variables are remove all the constants.
3) How do you remove all the constants? Generally, decide how they are attached to the variables and find the operation that un-does the attachment:

Example:

6y = 2y + 12

We aren't collected, so let's collect. Subtract 2y from each side.

6y - 2y = 2y + 12 - 2y

Simplify -- 6y - 2y = 4y, so this leaves

4y = 2y + 12 - 2y

The right side is a little trickier. You need those awesome rules that let you move things around. In this case a+b = b+a. Addition doesn't care what order you use, right? Thsi lets us more the 12 and a 2y around, giving.

4y = 2y - 2y + 12

Simplify -- 2y - 2y = 0, so this leaves

4y = 0 + 12

Or just

4y = 12

We're almost done. That '4' is attached to the 'y' by multiplication? How do you un-do multiplication? Division!! Divide bith sides by 4.

4y/4 = 12/4

4/4 = 1, so the left side is just 'y', leaving

y = 12/4

12/4 = 3 on the right side and we are left with the solution

y = 3

Really, you just have to work a few hundred. You'll get the hang of it.

Oh! Ok it doesn't matter how the problem is written.
If I can figure it out better by rearranging it so it is 5m=18+2m or 18+2m=5m its the same problem! DUH!
Thanks! :D :D :D :D

No duh about it.

Sometimes it does make a difference what order you do things; sometimes it does not.

With addition of numbers, it does not.

tkhenny is absolutely right: to learn even a seemingly obvious principle in math, you need to do lots of examples so the principle becomes a habit.

Go get that ged

I have another question. This may be redundant but here goes.
How would you work a problem like this? I have yet to come across a problem with 2 constants.
Do you work them separately ex: 5x+4 then 3x+20 then subtract the answers and that gives you x?

5x + 4 = 3x + 20

2unique said:
I have another question. This may be redundant but here goes.
How would you work a problem like this? I have yet to come across a problem with 2 constants.
Do you work them separately ex: 5x+4 then 3x+20 then subtract the answers and that gives you x?

5x + 4 = 3x + 20

I am not sure I understand the question. Presuming that the question is how do you attack an equation of the form (5x + 4) = (3x + 20), then let's get Socratic again.

In the algebra that you are studying, x is just a number, right?

As a general principle (in math as well as life), it is usually a good idea to try to simplify a problem before trying to solve it.

Let's simplify the two terms containing x. Think of the equation as a balance. So, to keep things in balance, you need to take the same number of x (remember x is just a symbol for a number not yet known) off both sides of the balance. How do you do that to get a an equation with x on just one side of the equation? You already know how to do that, right?

OK Now you have a new equation with a term in the unknown on just one side of the equation but knowns on both sides. The knowns are still numbers though, right?

So now do the same trick of simplifying to get knowns on just one side of the equation, except you want to get the known amount on the other side of the equation from the unknown. You know how to do that, right?

OK Now you have an equation with an unknown on one side and a known on the other. You know how to solve that, right?

If this seems obscure, try it a step at a time, and let me see you answer for each step. OK?