are chances reduced with first selection

carolineperrett

Please help answer this question as it has been an ongoing argument between my partner and myself!
We are playing Scrabble, I have my turn and take my tiles randomly out of the bag- he tells me I have to return them as it was his turn, and he hadn't taken his scrabble tiles out first and I have lowered his odds of getting good tiles. I think his chances are the same! Please tell me I'm right.
Caroline

Who said you got good tiles? You have decreased his chances of getting the tiles you drew.

1) To restore him to EXACTLY the same position he would have been, you will have to return the tiles.
2) Whose fault was it?
-----a) If you were just being jumpy, you should put them back.
-----b) If he was just being lazy, he should suffer a little. If you like your tiles, keep them.
3) What you cannot restore is your knowledge of the tiles you drew. You may have to restart the game. <== That's pretty drastic.

?? How did you get that from what I said?

Unfortunately, "good" and "bad" are not easily defined. Is it ALWAYS high-point tiles? At the beginning of the game, maybe. How do you feel about drawing a "Q" on your last draw? Does it matter if you ahve no "U"?

50-50? No, this depends on what tiles are left. If there are 12 tiles left, AAAAAEEEEEII, tell me which are the good ones and which are the bad?

Point #1 is the most important. To restore his draw, you must put the tiles back. There are, then, a few other smaller consdierations.