New.

HannerBananaer97

Um Hello? Im New and im not exactly sure what Catagory my question falls under but i think it may be this one?? Any Way Were learning about choosing appropriate data displays and how to use them to persuade. It says describe the possible Bias in each survey situation. Explain how to modify each situation to eliminate the bias. The first survey is "A person asks people sbout there favorite type of movie as they exit the theater." What is a Bias in this situation

Thanks! Hannah :D

HannerBananaer97 said:
Um Hello? Im New and im not exactly sure what Catagory my question falls under but i think it may be this one?? Any Way Were learning about choosing appropriate data displays and how to use them to persuade. It says describe the possible Bias in each survey situation. Explain how to modify each situation to eliminate the bias. The first survey is "A person asks people sbout there favorite type of movie as they exit the theater." What is a Bias in this situation

Thanks! Hannah :D

You asked your question on the right page.

To be fair to you, the question is not well-worded because the purpose of the survey is not specified. But let's ASSUME that the purpose of the survey is to find out what is the favorite type of movie for the majority of the TOTAL movie-going population. Let's say they survey people who are exiting a theater that has just shown an action flick. An OBVIOUS source of bias in this design for a survey with that assumed purpose is called "self-selection." The people who go to an action flick are likely to include an unusually high proportion of the total audience whose favorite type of movie is action flicks, right? That is, if you ask the audience coming out of an action-flick what is their favorite type of movie, you are likely to undersample those whose favorite type is chick flicks, right? Self-selection bias entails that the sample is not random WITH RESPECT TO THE TOTAL POPULATION. Does that make sense to you?

Now see if you can do the remaining problems on your own.

PS Although this particular problem is not ideally worded, this kind of problem is excellent pedagogy. Teaching you to ask whether a study is well designed will prevent you from being bamboozled by a lot of nonsense you will be asked to believe.