standard error question

Florida

I am having problems getting started on problem

If I have a data set of 300 and the standard deviation is 20,000, how much smaller will the standard deviation be if I have a data set of 1,000?

I'm lost on where to begin

thanks

You do not have a proper understanding. The population has a standard deviation. There is nothing you can do about it.

If we ask a better question, we might be able to make up an answer.

Given a population with unknown standard deviation and unknown mean, we are attempting to estimate the mean. A sample of 300 produced a sample mean (the we don't care about at thte moment) with a sample standard deviation of the mean of 20,000. What would be the sample standard deviation of the mean if we increased the sample size to 1,000?

\(\displaystyle 20000 = \frac{Something}{\sqrt{300}}\)

Now what?

I think what I am asking is (i) if I increase the sample population size from 300 to 1000 will the mean change and (ii) is there a way to quantify how much lower the SD will be.
Thanks

You do not have a proper understanding. The population has a mean. There is nothing you can do about it. Why would the mean change if you picked a larger sample. Would you expet the Sample Mean to change?

\(\displaystyle 20000 = \frac{Something}{\sqrt{300}} \implies\) What?

Maybe, \(\displaystyle \frac{Something}{\sqrt{1000}} = \frac{Something}{\sqrt{1000}}\cdot\frac{\sqrt{300}}{\sqrt{300}} = \frac{Something}{\sqrt{300}}\cdot\frac{\sqrt{300}}{\sqrt{1000}} = 20000\cdot\frac{\sqrt{300}}{\sqrt{1000}}\)

Are we getting anywhere?

Thank you for your help.
I appreciate that a population has an inherent mean but ...let's say that the population has 1M data points and we get a sample of this population that contains a 100 points, and a sample that contains 10,000 points. Wouldn't the larger sample have a mean that better approximates the population mean?

The larger sample would have a smaller standard deviation around it's mean estimate.

The expected value of an unbiased estimator of the mean is the mean of the underlying distribution. The sample mean will change with a different sample, whether smaller or larger, but this is only a function of the sample. If you take another sample of the same size, you will get a different sample mean (unless something weird happens). There is nothing about a sample size that says "This is the real mean of the population", well, until your sample is the entire population, but that's not really a sample, is it? The goal of a larger sample size is the decrease in the variance.

Eureka ...I think that I get it!!...sorry, I have a hard time visualizing these concepts.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain it to me.