Likelihood it will rain

lcf4712e

The likelihood that it will rain in Wilmington on Monday is 60%. the chance that it will rain in Burgaw on Monday is 70%. However, if it rains in Burgaw on Monday, then there is a 80% chance that it will also rain in Wilmington on that day. What is the probability that it will rain in a least one of the above two cities?

lcf4712e said:
The likelihood that it will rain in Wilmington on Monday is 60%. the chance that it will rain in Burgaw on Monday is 70%. However, if it rains in Burgaw on Monday, then there is a 80% chance that it will also rain in Wilmington on that day. What is the probability that it will rain in a least one of the above two cities?

If A and B are two different events with probabilities of P(A) and P(B) respectively, THERE IS A GENERAL FORMULA for the probability A or B.

Do you know that formula?

THERE IS ALSO A GENERAL FORMULA for the probability of A and B.

Do you know that formula?

Do you see a way to apply those formulas to the problem at hand?

I think the formula would be P (A u B) = P(A) + P(B) - P (A intersect B). This is new to me and I have a problem deciding what numbers go where. I have been out of school for over 30 yrs.

lcf4712e said:
I think the formula would be P (A u B) = P(A) + P(B) - P (A intersect B).
Yes. That is one of the fundamental formulas of probability theory.

This is new to me and I have a problem deciding what numbers go where.
In the formula above, A and B are just LABELS for what statisticians call "events." You can substitute in whatever event you want. So
Let A = Rain in Wilmington
Then P(A) = 60% = 0.6.

I have been out of school for over 30 yrs.
Not a problem. It has been longer for me.

OK Now what is B and P(B)?
What does (A and B) mean?
Do you understand WHY P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)? Memorization is much easier when you understand why as well as what.

To calculate P(A and B), we need another formula. Do you know a formula for that?