blending coffee

irene12

I've tried to work this problem out, but I'm stuck. Barstucks is making a new coffee blend. The company bought 50 lbs. of Kona beans at $34.95 per lb. and plans to mix these beans with Columbian beans that sell for $7.99 per lb.wholesale. If Barstucks wants its cost of the blend to be $11.95 per lb. how many lbs. of Colombian beans should it buy? I thought I should find the percentage that could be used to create the 11.95 blend, but nothing is working.

irene12 said:
I've tried to work this problem out, but I'm stuck. Barstucks is making a new coffee blend. The company bought 50 lbs. of Kona beans at $34.95 per lb. and plans to mix these beans with Columbian beans that sell for $7.99 per lb.wholesale. If Barstucks wants its cost of the blend to be $11.95 per lb. how many lbs. of Colombian beans should it buy? I thought I should find the percentage that could be used to create the 11.95 blend, but nothing is working.

Please show us - how it is not working out.

Please share your work with us - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

50 lbs($34.95) +1 lb(7.99)=x(11.95) Is this on the right track to solving the problem? Irene

irene12 said:
50 lbs($34.95) +1 lb(7.99)=x(11.95) Is this on the right track to solving the problem? Irene

Short Answer: No.

Road to Long Answer: What is the unknown? The number of pounds of Columbian coffee bought. So write it down. You should have:

x = pounds of Columbian coffee bought.

So how many dollars did Barstucks pay for coffee?

How many pounds of coffee did they get for that money?

Irene, "showing" it this way will probably make it much easier:

x = required Columbian beans
Code:
50   @ 34.95
 x    @  7.99
============
50+x @ 11.95